I lost a pool and don't know how to bring it back.

Yorick

Wizard
Thank you "geom disk list" doesn`t show the two drives. No cable issue. I have to boot into BIOS. So I`m looking for display and keyboard and try. Thanks!

While you're doing that, also re-acquaint yourself with how you connected those two drives in the first place!

> 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors

Right. That's your raidz1. So, what do those two mirror drives connect to? Maybe you got a SATA plugin controller. If you're really lucky, that controller is on the fritz. Just replace it with a proper HBA plus 1xSAS to 4xSATA breakout cable, and you are back in business. M1015 in IT mode is well liked and very affordable on eBay; there are other LSI 2008 based controllers out there, all of which will be fine as long as they are in or can be flashed to IT mode.

Edit: Now I'm on a mission to get you on a proper board so you never need to "mouse and keyboard" again. For 10-20 bucks more than that controller, you could instead get a SuperMicro X10SLM+-F. Supports your CPU, has 6 SATA on board, is listed for ECC memory. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...therboard-LGA-1150-Micro-ATX-I-O/283855176709 for one example. The one thing I am unclear about is whether this would work with your existing non-ECC memory, or you'd need to replace with ECC UDIMM, which would jack the price up. Those are 50 bucks per 8GB stick.

Last edited:

rebl

Dabbler
Guys, thanks to your help I think I found the root cause: Due to limited SATAs on the board I installed a PCIe SATA controller. The two lost HDDs were connected to this PCIA adapter. I ordered a new one and hopefully I`ll get my Data back.

K_switch

Dabbler
Guys, thanks to your help I think I found the root cause: Due to limited SATAs on the board I installed a PCIe SATA controller. The two lost HDDs were connected to this PCIA adapter. I ordered a new one and hopefully I`ll get my Data back.
@rebl

That is great to hear! another step you could try is another PCIe slot if applicable... once that is cleared i am confident you will have no problems reconnecting that pool.

rebl

Dabbler
While you're doing that, also re-acquaint yourself with how you connected those two drives in the first place!

> 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors

Right. That's your raidz1. So, what do those two mirror drives connect to? Maybe you got a SATA plugin controller. If you're really lucky, that controller is on the fritz. Just replace it with a proper HBA plus 1xSAS to 4xSATA breakout cable, and you are back in business. M1015 in IT mode is well liked and very affordable on eBay; there are other LSI 2008 based controllers out there, all of which will be fine as long as they are in or can be flashed to IT mode.

Edit: Now I'm on a mission to get you on a proper board so you never need to "mouse and keyboard" again. For 10-20 bucks more than that controller, you could instead get a SuperMicro X10SLM+-F. Supports your CPU, has 6 SATA on board, is listed for ECC memory. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...therboard-LGA-1150-Micro-ATX-I-O/283855176709 for one example. The one thing I am unclear about is whether this would work with your existing non-ECC memory, or you'd need to replace with ECC UDIMM, which would jack the price up. Those are 50 bucks per 8GB stick.
Spooky, you got it!
Freenas_real-sata.jpg

I wrote the answer before without having read your reply!! Thank you! That's it, a cheap, likely defect SATA controller. Thanks for your tip, I`ll search this board here in Europe. Could I easily change the motherboard without touching Freenas? BTW, I have a Fractal Design Node 304, not 804.
I was shocked as I looked on the dealer`s site, because I did setup this system back in 2013. The first years with OMV, after one complete data loss I switched to Freenas, which was far too complicated for me, but I have not regretted it until today. As I can remember there were no 1150 6xsata microatx-board around these days. At least I didn`t find one.

rebl

Dabbler
@rebl
That is great to hear! another step you could try is another PCIe slot if applicable... once that is cleared i am confident you will have no problems reconnecting that pool.
Can`t try that, there`s only one PCIe slot on this board as the most ITX-boards.

Yorick

Wizard
Supermicro have a variety of these boards, there’s also the x10slm-f without the plus, different Ethernet chipset. I hope you find an affordable version!

You can absolutely replace the motherboard without needing to touch the FreeNAS install. What I am unclear about is whether this board will allow you to use non-ECC memory with that i3. I’m not sure anyone here has tried that, but if you’re reading this and you know one way or the other, please chime in.

You kinda want ECC memory for peace of mind and, I get that brings the cost up. There’s always still the option to stick with the board you have and buy a HBA, those don’t die as readily as that SATA controller and don’t cost much more any more, either.

Yorick

Wizard
BTW, I have a Fractal Design Node 304

Oh I am glad I looked that up. That's mITX only. Forget the suggestion for SuperMicro boards, those are all mATX and won't fit. I'd say M1015 already flashed to IT mode, or something along those lines, is your best bet, unless someone can suggest an mITX board with IPMI and ECC support that'll take that 4th gen i3.

Supermicro's motherboard matrix didn't seem to show one. I did a quick search but didn't find anything; it was quick though so maybe I missed something.

rebl

Dabbler
Oh I am glad I looked that up. That's mITX only. Forget the suggestion for SuperMicro boards, those are all mATX and won't fit. I'd say M1015 already flashed to IT mode, or something along those lines, is your best bet, unless someone can suggest an mITX board with IPMI and ECC support that'll take that 4th gen i3.
Besides the 1150 socket, are there mITX-boards with 6 Sata and ECC-memory you would recommend?

Yorick

Wizard
Besides the 1150 socket, are there mITX-boards with 6 Sata and ECC-memory you would recommend?

A quick search shows two. Now we're way past "quick 50-70 dollar fix", though.

ASRock Rack E3C242D2I , 6 SATA, C242 chipset, 1G-T LAN, can be used with Coffee lake i3, Pentium, or Xeon E-xxxx, IPMI, ECC memory with one of those CPUs.

ASRock Rack E3C246D4I-2T, 8 SATA via OcuLink to 4 SATA breakout cable, C246 chipset (nothing in spec sheets about whether this supports the iGPU in BIOS for Plex hw transcode), 10G-T LAN (will work with 1G or 10G, RJ45), can be used with Coffee lake i3, Pentium, or Xeon E-xxxx, IPMI, ECC memory with one of those CPUs.

rebl

Dabbler
Hi guys,

again thanks for your great help.
Freenas_databack.jpg

Just as you all assumed, I got the new SATA controller today and I`m back in business. :)

ASRock Rack E3C242D2I , 6 SATA, C242 chipset, 1G-T LAN, can be used with Coffee lake i3, Pentium, or Xeon E-xxxx, IPMI, ECC memory with one of those CPUs.
Next time i have a major outage i will upgrade, thanks. As far as I know now it`s definitive worth it if I want to keep my data over the years.
The problem, nobody sells this board except a shop in Britain. 240€ (which is ok) and 45€ delivery to Germany (which is not ok and usury).

To-Do list for afterwards:
- Set up email alerts in FreeNAS and make sure those work
- Set up scrub tasks for both pools
- Set up short and long SMART test tasks
- Set up daily config backup; optionally and recommended sync config backup to cloud

Next task: I found a hopefully foolproof tutorial to setup tests and scrubs on freenas.
And if I have any questions, I know now, where the friendly Freenas Gurus hang around. :D

Stay healthy,
Best regards, Frank

And if I have any questions, I know now, where the friendly Freenas Gurus hang around. :D
Glad you got it all sorted. Be sure to keep backups of any data you really care about. :)

Good morning friends. I'm new here.
my freeNas11 lost the Pool I had created. (datastore)

I can see the discs and I can see all my 3 discs and another boo pool for a total of 4 discs.

I have 3 discs (da1, da2 and da3) that together formed a single pool called a "datastore".

could someone help me how to recover my pool?

FreeNAS-11.2-U7

Yorick

Wizard
Start with zpool status from CLI. How were these three disks layed out in the pool, that is, assigned to vdevs?

Yorick

Wizard
I created the pool by selecting the three disks in mirror mode.

As in, a 3-wide mirror, or three vdevs of one disk each? If the latter, you purposely built without redundancy. Not sure what the SMB share screen shot is meant to illustrate.

Copy/paste into a code block is easier to read than screen shots, btw. Use SSH to connect to cli, makes copy/paste easier.

Outputs of "smartctl -a /dev/da1" (repeat for da2 and da3) as well as "zpool import", pasted in here using the above method?

As in, a 3-wide mirror, or three vdevs of one disk each? If the latter, you purposely built without redundancy. Not sure what the SMB share screen shot is meant to illustrate.

Copy/paste into a code block is easier to read than screen shots, btw. Use SSH to connect to cli, makes copy/paste easier.

Outputs of "smartctl -a /dev/da1" (repeat for da2 and da3) as well as "zpool import", pasted in here using the above method?

root@freenas11:~ # smartctl -a / dev / da1
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ERROR: smartctl takes ONE device name as the final command-line argument.
You have provided 4 device names:
/
dev
/
da1

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

root@freenas11:~ # zpool import
pool: datastore
id: 9478985079333861488
state: FAULTED
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-72
config:

datastore FAULTED corrupted data
gptid/79a45d55-0a9c-11e9-a829-000c29fb8ad9 ONLINE
gptid/7bc6e918-0a9c-11e9-a829-000c29fb8ad9 ONLINE
gptid/7cfca5af-0a9c-11e9-a829-000c29fb8ad9 ONLINE
root@freenas11:~ #

Yorick

Wizard
smartctl -a /dev/da1, not smartctl -a / dev / da1.

There is still a question that is crucial: A 3-wide single mirror vdev, or 3 mirror vdevs of a single drive each?

Asked another way: Did your pool have the capacity of a single drive, or of three drives?

If the latter, you chose to build without redundancy. If one drive failed, you will need to build a new pool and restore from backup.

Please use code tags for lengthy output, it's easier to read. That's available from the three-dot drop-down in the forum editor.