I lost a pool and don't know how to bring it back.

There is still a question that is crucial: A 3-wide single mirror vdev, or 3 mirror vdevs of a single drive each?
Asked another way: Did your pool have the capacity of a single drive, or of three drives?

I still don't really understand your question. I will try to explain how I did it and see if it serves as an answer. in addition to my boot disk, I have three disks that were added to a single pool in mirror mode. where then, I made SMB sharing available in this pool that gave the name of datastore.

Yorick

Wizard
I have three disks that were added to a single pool in mirror mode

What's the size of each disk, and what was the size of your pool when you were done?

That you do not understand my question makes it very likely that you added each drive as a single-drive mirror vdev. If that's so, and one drive failed, all your data are now gone.

Here's a primer on what a pool is, what a vdev is, and how vdev-level redundancy works: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/

What's the size of each disk, and what was the size of your pool when you were done?

three disk: each disk with 500GB in total available of almost 1TB. correcting the mirroring mode. it was Raid-z.

Yorick

Wizard
Okay, you had a raidz1 vdev in a pool, of three disks of 500GB each. Now you need the output of smartctl for each disk so you can see whether you had more than one of them fail.

Do you have a backup?

If not, you can try to force the import and see whether you can get at least some data off the pool: zpool import -F datastore. See also https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/819-5461/gbbwl.html

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is still a question that is crucial: A 3-wide single mirror vdev, or 3 mirror vdevs of a single drive each?
This is answered in the post above yours--the pool datastore consists of three disks striped. You can determine this by the lack of the keywords "mirror" or "raidz" in the output of zpool import.

Yorick

Wizard
the pool datastore consists of three disks striped

Well, if that's so, then the contents of the pool may now be gone.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Indeed. The -F (not -f) flag might help. That in combination with readonly might. But the pool's in bad shape, and it never had any redundancy.