I just can't let it go

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I have tried. It has been a few days. I have slept on it. I have thought about it. And I just don't get it.

I made a thread asking questions about hardware recommendations. It ended up morphing into a build thread with, in my opinion, a wealth of information that is still current and relevant. I have researched far and wide to fill said thread with accurate, noob friendly, information. Fast forward about a year later, I posted my findings after running this configuration for a year. My thread is now locked. It was implied my thread is too old and not relevant any longer. I strongly disagree with that. And quite frankly, I'm a bit pissed off.

The point of this post, is an effort to understand the need to lock a thread that does not violate the rules. How does my thread being locked benefit this community? Thanks.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/hardware-sata-controller-selection-or-motherboard.12079/

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir, to put it in perspective, the way Xenforo, and a lot of forums work, if you post something in a thread, that makes its last modification update to the present time. Accordingly, when people who click on the "what's new" button at the top (which is basically, everyone), they will see your old thread "necro"d, as they say, which causes them to read an old thread.

"Locking" the thread prevents the "bump"ing of an old thread, as nothing in there requires new attention. As the thread already contains valuable information, as it is, I am sure it was locked just to preserve it as it is without further additions.

I would choose to view it as a sign that the thread is considered useful, and esteemable, as it is, and the possibility of reopening other random people's (not you) contributions might not really be desirable. Plus, the limitations of the forum software, which make it not easy to simply add to the thread without "bumping" it.

You should certainly not be offended by the lock. It's only intended to freeze changes to the thread so that its usefulness remains compact and clear.

I am sure you would be welcomed to create a new thread, wherein you can refer to the old thread, for any reason. As you already have done in *this* thread :)

9C1 Newbee

Patron
10-4 Copy that! That makes sense. I don't use the "what's new" function so I was not aware of this. Thank you for breaking it down for me. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Locking the thread! Just kidding...

The "What's new" function is on every forum, which is why every forum hates necro'ers. In some forums they setup the forum to autolock threads after 30 days of inactivity. Still others just ban without warning for it. We don't lock threads here automatically and I don't know of anyone being banned for it here. But we(we being the mods) do lock threads that seem to be getting necro'd when they shouldn't be or that otherwise are causing more problems than its solving and other various reasons.

It's considered good forum etiquette in every forum I've been to not pull out an old thread from the graveyard unless you have some really juicy info to add to the thread that warrants pulling it out.

Definitely don't take locking of threads personally.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Locking the thread! Just kidding...

LOL :P

The car forum I belong to also has the "what's new" feature. I Just never use it. I have never even heard the term "necro" outside of Vin Diesel movies where you keep what you kill. And we necro stuff all day every day. Never knew it was considered rude. We are pretty barbaric over there though. Locking threads are reserved for when somebody starts pouting over the content.

tingo

Contributor
FWIW, I agree with the OP; posting a status update on a configuration that has been running for a year is valuable information, and should be allowed. If that gets the pulse of some other people increasing, they should take that as a good sign (they are still alive), take a deep breath and enjoy some time away from their computer.
Just my 0.01 eurocents.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No one's pulse is increasing, sir, except for the OP.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't have substantial objections to followups of this sort, but random newbie necro'ing a random FreeNAS 8 era thread for a mostly unrelated topic is damn annoying.

Creating a new thread that includes a backlink is probably the compromise.

J

jkh

I have nothing to say. I'm just trying to keep this thread new and fresh.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Something is fresh in here.. who didn't change their underwear this week? Oops.. that's me! Be right back!

;)

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I don't have substantial objections to followups of this sort, but random newbie necro'ing a random FreeNAS 8 era thread for a mostly unrelated topic is damn annoying.

Creating a new thread that includes a backlink is probably the compromise.

In my opinion: The 1015 is a daily topic. My hardware seems to be popular. My newb opinion using this hardware might not be relevant to you, but I have a feeling it might be relevant to somebody. In other words if I can do it, anybody can do it. Even if it was based on your suggestions. LOL

No one's pulse is increasing, sir, except for the OP.

You got that right! Probably from two many ham sandwiches though.

I have nothing to say. I'm just trying to keep this thread new and fresh.

Ok, now that was funny.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate you all. You guys donate ton's of your spare time to help out guys like me. It was certainly not my intention to offend. The other forums I frequent hate thread duplication and has been drilled into my head not to do it. Starting a whole new duplicate thread is what you guys like. It is your forum, your rules. Even if it is a rule that isn't listed. If you would excuse me, I am gonna grab a ham sandwich.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.