I don't understand shares. At all.

Mannekino

Patron
Ah, I'm going to test that later today when I get home on my test FreeNAS server. So this happens when you create a new user through the UI.

adrianwi

Guru
If the manual makes no sense, perhaps FreeNAS isn't for you?

Octopuss

Patron
If the manual makes no sense, perhaps FreeNAS isn't for you?
Perhaps you shouldn't bother with trolling and useless comments.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Perhaps you shouldn't bother with trolling and useless comments.
They are somewhat accurate. Freenas does require the ability to read and understand the manual or test and play around with things until the understanding is there. There are guides and directions for pretty much everything you could ever want to do. Just install it and play with every setting until you understand it. After that you can put it in production and have it work the way you need.

Octopuss

Patron
When stuff is NOT explained in the manual then it's not the user's fault, don't you think?
Nowhere does it state you have to create users, datasets and/or shares and whatever else in speficic order.

Similarly, the manual claims I am supposed or I can (not sure) fine tune share permissions from within Windows. Well, again, nowhere does it say that I need to be in a domain in order to do that (so now I have a share I cannot set permissions to but that's a different story).
IF the manual is aimed at networking and/or Linux gurus and not regular people, it should explicitely say so somewhere. Until then, I will be pissed off because it completely ignores some basic information.

Octopuss

Patron
Well, I can't tell what's wrong, but windows permissions don't work at all.
I have a media share/datastore on the NAS and it's accessible and all. "Fine tuning" the permissions doesn't work though.
1550579813360.png

When I try to add a user
1550579885378.png

I get asked for credentials, use the root account, and.... it doesn't even recognize an account that exists on the NAS
1550579948490.png

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

...and when I try to search again I get
1550582427884.png

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
I also don't understand why is it showing "unix group" and "unix user" instead of the real stuff.

Mannekino

Patron
I'm no expert but I think I've gathered enough knowledge to provide you with a basic breakdown on how you can set up a share properly.

What you want to do is the following.
  1. Create a new user (and primary group) that will be your own "Administrator" account" e.g. the account that you will also use to SSH to the server and use sudo with. This acount will also be used to manage the permissions of the shares.
  2. Create either a single group that will have both read and write access to a dataset and share or perhaps two seperate groups if you want to give certain people only read access and other people both read and write.
  3. Create a new dataset with Windows ACL type
  4. Change the owner of this dataset to the user created in step one and change the group to either your own primary group or one of the groups created in step 2
  5. Create a SMB share of the dataset
  6. Go to your Windows client and access the SMB share through \\servername (you should be prompted to enter your username and password, use the credentials from the user created in step 1).
  7. From here you can change the permissions by either giving users or groups privileges.
  8. If you want to check how the ACL is set in SSH you can use the command getfacl on a map or folder.
Personally I set the owner and group of my content datasets to my primary user and group so I can give applictions running in jails read and write access. For example, the Radarr jail must have write access to my movies folder. To achieve this I created my primary group inside the jail also and added this group to the radarr user.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
Right, I changed the owner of the dataset to my own user, gave him sudo, and at least something shows up correctly now:
1550586314908.png

Unfortunately, even when I use this account when I try to add "someone" else, it still finds nothing. Same problem as before.
The media group still looks bugged too.
I can't tell whether this is a problem on the NAS's side or Windows'.

Octopuss

Patron
Another completely WTF thing is that when I add a completely new group, say "asdf", add it to the dataset's permission,this is what happens:
1550587169554.png

There is NO test group or user anywhere in the system.

Octopuss

Patron
Mystery solved.
Windows is fucking STUPID.
Someone suggested Enter the user name (when connecting from Windows) as IPaddressOfYourNAS\usernameOnTheNAS and he was right! I just didn't expect Windows to be this stupid when it asks for credentials for a specific server that's even mentioned in the very same window.
Jesus christ :rolleyes: