I broke SMB (Windows 10 clients) *FIXED* - solution inside

mikeintexas

Dabbler
Running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.1. I successfully installed Scale, configured users, groups, configured a pool, datasets and created SMB shares. Everything was working correctly. I could map shares from windows 10 clients via the Map Network Drive feature in Windows. But then I had to mess with it.

Under SMB service, I changed the netbios name from truenas to truenas-scale to differentiate my Scale server from another TrueNAS Core server I'll be setting up in the future.

All my shares broke, could no longer access them in Windows. I figured, "No problem, just need remap the shares with the new netbios name." Windows cannot find the "new server" named truenas-scale.

I tried restarting SMB service in Scale. I tried deleting all my SMB shares in scale and recreating them. I tried rebooting the Windows boxes. Nothing works.

I CAN map my shares via IP address, so something is working correctly. I have Network Discovery and File/Printer sharing turned on in the Windows clients. I have two separate Win10 clients (fat boxes) that are having the exact same problem, so it must be something in Scale but I have no idea what.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mikeintexas

Dabbler
I fixed it, though I don't know if I did this 100% correctly...it's working, I guess that's what matters. It was a 2-step fix.

I had to change the NetBIOS Name under SMB to what I wanted it to be, like so:
1656096699461.png

But then I ALSO had to make changes in the Network Global Configuration. I changed the Hostname to what I needed AND I checked the NetBIOS-NS box under Service Announcement, like so:
1656096787166.png

I hadn't touched the Global Configuration previously, so no idea of the NetBIOS-NS box used to be checked or not. I'm happy that it's working but would like to understand WHY this worked. Thanks. I hope this helps someone else who breaks their own install. :D

Last edited: