hypervisor + virtualized Truenas

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
ESXi itself needs 1 G or less. I am speaking about the memory ESXi will provision for VMs. The expectation of the documentation is that you need at least 12 G to actually perform anything useful. The docs mean physical memory in your ESXi host that will be used by ESXi itself and VMs.

So my recommendation from the start has been to configure a system with 32 G. Assign 16 G to TrueNAS and use the rest for your other VMs. Since ESXi can overprovision and share memory, the limits are not that exact. You can run 4 VMs of 4 G each and ESXi will "find" memory for its own use.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

phier

Patron
oh okay, i will check i thought there is something natively supported.

Also was wondering if its Safe/good idea to patch Esxi so one can run OSX images on it?

thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Also was wondering if its Safe/good idea to patch Esxi so one can run OSX images on it?
No idea. There are probably ESXi or home lab forums where they discuss these things. I never tried it.

phier

Patron
so basically no clue how to run osx in VM on non apple hw, but lets say not "using" some not supported ESXi patches... maybe its not possible at all.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
i emailed the author of the unlocker and he said its only for a nonprod use ;/

That is because it is against the Apple EULA to run MacOS on anything other than Apple hardware.