HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Performance tower - Xeon E3-1225V5 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTH040

Cadet
I am pretty much new to freenas I have tried installing it on my atom motherboard with good results but nothing mind blowing perfomance wise so was thinking of buying or making my own box or buying a pre built server the link underneath was one I was watching which seems a decent price? Really dont need anything overkill hardware wise but want somthing to run my plex server and cctv cameras without issues. Would this be a good choice to buy I think max around £400 without disks included would be my budget was a also looking at qnap 453a but seems pricey and unsure of how it would really cope with plex transcodes.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would this be a good choice to buy I think max around £400 without disks included
FreeNAS (which uses ZFS for the file system) is not really intended to be used on the cheapest hardware you can find.
It is more like the development branch for an enterprise solution and it kind of needs specific hardware to run well.
Did you look at the hardware guide?
Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06

ANTH040

Cadet
No I didnt maybe freenas is not for me if it needs to run on more the £400s worth of gear just for a plex server and camera recording anyway.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No I didnt maybe freenas is not for me if it needs to run on more the £400s worth of gear just for a plex server and camera recording anyway.
The subject server "The hpe ProLiant Ml10 Gen9 server", should be able to do most of what you might want. You might just need to add some memory and drives. FreeNAS needs 8GB of RAM at the bare minimum just for FreeNAS to run well and if you want to run some additional services, like Plex and I what ever you will use for the cameras, that may need some more memory on top. My suggestion would be to start with 16GB but leave yourself room to add more if you feel it is needed.
I am not sure what prices you can get this server for in the UK, but we see it on sale here in the US for as low as $169 on occasion but more often at $199. That model has no drives and only 4GB of memory. If you add some memory, that is going to push you really close to your budget. It is not a bad start. Do read the hardware guide though as it has some very good information for people just starting with FreeNAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. I bought all the hardware for my two FreeNAS servers (except for the drives) used and it set me back about $1500 a couple years ago and I expect to be able to use them for a few years more.

gpsguy

The machine is fine. A few of us have the version with an i3-6100 for a lot less money.

If you don't have a monitor that accepts DP, you will need an adapter. I bought the HP DP to VGA adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.