HP NC523SFP Driver For Freenas 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

navdahmd

Cadet
Hi,

Im new Bee and i have HP NC523SFP Dual Port 10Gig Network Adapter. Can anyone help me how to load its driver on Freenas 9.3. how to make it functional.

Regards

NAD

Mlovelace

Guru
The HP NC523SFP uses a qlogic asic, which I don't believe FreeNAS supports. You can't install a driver in freeNAS as it's designed to be an appliance OS. You would have to build the driver into a custom freeNAS build, which is doable if you have the correct freebsd qlogic driver.

navdahmd

Cadet
Thanks for prompt reply. But i have ne experienced in writing a driver . can you shared any resource link. ..

m0nkey_

MVP
Thanks for prompt reply. But i have ne experienced in writing a driver . can you shared any resource link. ..
I'm not expecting you to write a driver! :smile: As far as I can tell, a driver is available for FreeBSD 10.3 (which FreeNAS 9.10 is based). You simply need to request the driver to be included for FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

navdahmd

Cadet
We im new to this forum and i didnt know where to put my request one of guy told me to put your request at Redmine and send me link as you see.

Please guide me ... thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
one of guy told me to put your request at Redmine
Nobody said redmine and the link you got was for the FreeNAS bug tracker.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
:confused: How the heck did that happen?

There is a link to Redmine on the bug tracker. If you click it nothing happens (except words change ;), but who reads pesky words anyway).

Then you submit a bug.

JustinClift

Patron
We im new to this forum and i didnt know where to put my request one of guy told me to put your request at Redmine and send me link as you see.

Please guide me ... thanks

If you're still interested in this, the place you need to file a new request is here:

It needs to you register (free) with them first though, so they can communicate with you about the request:

Out of curiosity, do you have any experience with Unix like systems? (eg BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc)

If you do, it's not hard to build your own version of FreeNAS, with a FreeBSD driver included. It might be useful to do anyway. :)

Last edited:

navdahmd

Cadet
JustinClift: Thanks , well i dont have any experience of Unix or any of its flavour but i love to learn it. Im Microsoft user and in of good NAS/DAS Server and i found FreeNAS is very stable and with Great Options.

Well i am just starting to learn FreeBsd , if you have any suggestion for Newbie (Me) please share. :)

JustinClift

Patron
Sure. :)

With FreeBSD, and Unix systems in general, it's a good idea to become familiar with the command line. Most administration guides / tasks assume an understanding of it. You've probably already noticed that though. ;)

I don't have any particular guides to point at, as a lot of info/tutorials can be found through a Google (or similar) search. You just need to take the time/effort to go through some of them (can be hard). :rolleyes:

When you are ready to try building FreeNAS yourself, there is a step by step guide here:

https://github.com/freenas/freenas-...--10-—-Setting-up-a-FreeNAS-build-environment

That won't include the driver for your HP NC523SFP card, but it *is* the foundation towards getting there. If you can get FreeNAS building using that guide, I can give you the steps for including your own driver stuff.

Btw, if/when you do start building FreeNAS, it's a good idea to do it inside a Virtual machine (on your Windows box or something). That way, if something goes wrong it's easy to start over again.

Does that help? :)

navdahmd

Cadet
JustinClift: Its Good to start from here, i hope it will help me to build and understand FreeNas of my OWN ;)

Yes its helpful :) Thanks

JustinClift

Patron
You're welcome. :)

As a data point for later, the driver you seem to need is called "qlxgb". I'm not 100% sure of that though, it's my guess from doing some Google searches.

This HP page says your card is based on the "QLogic cLOM8214" controller.

The qlxgb manual page says it supports "QLogic 8200 series".

Seems like a reasonable guess though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.