HP NC522SFP Driver Help

Hi Guys,
My first post here, so sorry if it is in the wrong place.
I purchased 4 HP NC522SFP adapter cards to get my home lab up to 10GBE, then I moved to FreeNAS, but I a stuck because I am not seeing my adapters in FreeNAS. Doing lots of research, I am not the only one who has encountered this, however I have not seen any recent resolutions. The card itself is in fact a re-branded QLE3142 adapter, has anyone come across this issue and every solved it? I really don't want to spend more money on a 10Gbe adapter just for FreeNAS.

Thank you for your help.
James

melloa

Wizard
I really don't want to spend more money on a 10Gbe adapter just for FreeNAS.

HPE is quite interesting. I was trying to check the specs for your card and the link on their page lead to a dead page ... either way, I'd go with Chelsio. You can get one for about $30 from eBay and will be fully supported. I do use the T320 on my FreeNAS servers bare metal and in pass through for the ESXi FreeNAS VMs without any issues.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi Guys,
My first post here, so sorry if it is in the wrong place.
I purchased 4 HP NC522SFP adapter cards to get my home lab up to 10GBE, then I moved to FreeNAS, but I a stuck because I am not seeing my adapters in FreeNAS. Doing lots of research, I am not the only one who has encountered this, however I have not seen any recent resolutions. The card itself is in fact a re-branded QLE3142 adapter, has anyone come across this issue and every solved it? I really don't want to spend more money on a 10Gbe adapter just for FreeNAS.

Thank you for your help.
James

Sorry, but this is a classic mistake. Don't shop for hardware and then hope that the driver support will be there. The list of cards for which there is actually awesome support on FreeBSD (and to a lesser extent Linux) is alarmingly short. FreeNAS/ZFS also has the tendency to push hardware a lot harder than normal, so even cards that "work" on FreeBSD sometimes tend to have the bugs shook out and on full display with FreeNAS.

The go-to cards are the Chelsios or Intels, which is why they're suggested in the 10Gig Networking Primer. Pricewise if @melloa is correct about $30 for a T320, do that. Other options include the Solarflares. I picked up a bunch of SFN-6122F a few weeks back for $28/each -- WITH SR optics. I haven't personally used these with FreeNAS(?I think?) but some people swear by them. There are cheap Mellanox cards too, same caveat.

I am sorry to tell you that you're likely to need to spend a little more cash. Hope the above helps.