HP Microserver / RocketRAID / FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binzaman

Cadet
Hi,

Just looking for some help. I new to FreeNAS and only have limited exp in UNIX/Linux.

I have a HP Microserver and have added a RocketRAID 2710 controller to run Hardware RAID 5. I have installed FreeNAS on a USB stick and can get it to boot fine, but I am unable to add a Volume. I tried just just putting back in the old drive, but it doesn't see that either.

I'm just trying to set up a basic NAS / File / Media Server.

People have suggested going back to FreeNAS 7 on the forums, but can somebody point me to a step by step guide on how to get this version to boot from usb.

Looking for some help.

Cheers,

Shane

ProtoSD

MVP
If you're using hardware RAID, don't... FreeNAS uses ZFS which is software RAID, but I think your problem is because you need a driver to see your drives if you're using the hardware RAID. Have you tried turning that off and seeing if your drives appear?

There a lot of MAJOR differences between .7 and 8.0 and just because it worked in .7 doesn't mean it's supported in 8.0. See if disabling your hardware RAID helps and then post back if you need to.

kashiwagi

Dabbler
Hi Binzaman,

as protosd already mentioned, ZFS (which is the biggest benefit of running Freenas 8 imo) doesn't need hardware raid. Just expose the disks directly, and you will be able to create a ZFS volume. I have a Microserver myself, and as long as you have enough memory, running software ZFS (as opposed to hardware raid5) poses no performance problem.

Why did you buy the hardware raid to begin with? You should already have enough sata ports in the microserver.....(I am running 5 disks, with one in the ODD spot)

Status
Not open for further replies.