HP Microserver keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

windyboi

Explorer
My FreeNAS microserver keeps restarting itself, but I can not see anything in /var/log/messages around the time of the restart to diagnose. Anywhere else I can look?

I do not know the frequency of restarts due to not being able to see from the logs, but from uptime whenever I login to the server it looks like a few times a week

Thank you for your help

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
check your drive temps, cpu temps and you can find old logs located in /var/log/messages.0.bz2

Code:
[root@tubby] ~# less /var/log/messages
messages        messages.1.bz2  messages.3.bz2  
messages.0.bz2  messages.2.bz2  messages.4.bz2  

you can read the files using this command
Code:
bzcat /var/log/messages.0.bz2 | less

windyboi

Explorer
Thank you for replying.

I can't seem to see anything in the log files ever around the time of the reboot. No errors or anything like that.

I have SMART enabled to check every 30mins and to email if any issues, haven't had any email re. issues. Also, my server isn't really doing a lot. It is quite simply acting as torrent server with very small activity.

Sakuru

Guru
Run a memtest.

windyboi

Explorer
Hi guys

Thanks for your input. I ran a memtest last night, but the server rebooted itself after around 2hrs. I guess it rules out issue with FreeNAS :/. However, I ran memtest again and left it on all night and now it's been running for 11hrs, Iterations: 6, Pass :3, Errors : 0 "Pass complete, no errors"

I have it plugged into a surge protector, and the electrics are all good in this flat. Also the server was running fine in the same position for the first few months I had it, but it's only been the recent few months that I notice multiple reboots.

It's an HP Microserver Gen8 FYI. Couldn't see anything on the HP forums other than about a 'reboot loop' but this is not the case, seems to be at random.

Appreciate your help
Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Lennemann

Explorer
There is known issues with faulty power supplies in those models. I'm running the same server as you and I have no issues. I have mine plugged into an UPS, but I do not have it configured to shutdown in the event the UPS looses commercial power.

windyboi

Explorer
Ah great :/ OK

Looks like I'll be buying a new PSU for this microserver then as it looks like it's definitely the issue!

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.