HP Microserver Gen7 N54L - Network Card Port Sync Issues After EVERY Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've just installed my first FreeNAS box for my own production use.
I've installed 'FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)' on 2x Gen 7 HP Microservers both with the AMD N54L CPU and 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I've reset the network config on the port, then configured 2x VLAN's on the parent interface and set the IP's, routes etc and its working a treat.
The only issue I have (which both of the servers are displaying), after a reboot via the GUI or pulling the plug from the server, the network stops working. (is not pingable, cannot load the webUI)
The switch see's the port as online, but only shows 100mbps speed - forcing the switch to gigabit makes the port go offline all together. - The switch is a Cisco 52 port small business switch.

Now, If I connect a display and keyboard to the servers and select 'Configure an interface', select the parent/physical interface, and select Y to reset the configuration - It all comes up and works a treat again (keeps the VLAN sub interfaces as they are). Obviously this is a concern if the power was to go out and exceed the life of the UPS, when they reboot both of my storage devices would be offline.

I had a look through the threads for known issues with the hardware, but didnt have any luck.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this before I fork out for new intel PCIE network cards?

PS. I believe the NIC is an HP NC107i

Hi Snaptec, thanks for the reply - I'm looking in the /var/log/messages log file and I cant see any errors that stand out, is there a place I should be looking for more information on this?

Hi m0nkey_
running cat 6 to both of them

I've decided to buy Intel pcie NICs for them so I'll test those in there when I get them tomorrow. I'll report back on the findings, would be nice to run a link aggregation over both of them.

The results are in.
It looks to be an issue with either my VLAN sub interface configuration, or a bug in this release of the software. (I think)

I've installed my new Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe Gigabit card and experienced the same issue - Configured VLAN's tested working, pings ok - Reboot host and everything stops working - Select reset network configuration on the parent adaptor and it works again.

That and reading a fair few FreeBSD posts about VLAN issues made me reconfigure my NIC's - Now using the intel PCIe untagged/ NO VLAN's on the storage network and the on board HP on the management network untagged/NO VLAN's - set IP's tested connectivity and rebooted the host, which looks to be working ok after the reboot. (obviously there was some switch reconfiguration involved in that, but I'll save the boring information as its a NAS/storage forum).

I'm going to make the same changes on my second storage box and try a few more reboots, I'll let you know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.