HP DL180 with B140i controller(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkzr

Cadet
Hi!

We currently running FreeNas at a DL180G5, we are really satisfied but we want to upgrade our environment.
We configured a new server but our distributor told us that NO hp server, or better said, HP RAID solution is currently able to run with FreeNas without putting it in RAID 0
My configuration is with a HP B140i SATA solution. Some kind of onboard controller which can be put in AHCI mode. I thought this would be fine so ZFS can handle the RAID part. But the person I spoke with, told me that nothing would work until you put every disk in Raid 0 (thats obviously not what you want). Is this true or will it work fine? If not, does anyone have a suggestion of a third party card which would work (and fits with the cables that are connected to the diskcontainers)? If searched the internet and this forum but could not really find an answer for my specific situation. I did find that the RAID 0 solution is the only solution for the P440 controller, H240 controller etc.

The freenas build-guide says:

Most motherboards have some number of SATA ports built in. There are certain models of Marvell and J-Micron controllers that are used on motherboards that have large numbers of SATA ports. Some of these controllers have various compatibility issues with FreeNAS, and some of these controllers also have forms of RAID on them. As a general rule, the integrated chipset AHCI SATA ports have no issues when used with FreeNAS, they just tend to be limited to 10 ports (and often far fewer) on most motherboards.

I hope someone can confirm that it will work fine, because I don't want to end up with the RAID 0 or any other degraded performance or availability solution to make this thing work.

Thank you guys in advance for helping

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.