Howto install custom tbz

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_oli

Dabbler
Hi all,

i tried to install ah custom made zabbix-agent tbz file.
i did this, because with pkg_add -r there was a realy old version
i created the tbz with make package on another freebsd 8.2 box

after that:
mount -uw /
pkg_add ..tbz

all looks fine like user and group where created, config files and binaries where on there place.
zabbix-agent also worked fine

then, the reboot, and everything was gone.

can somebody give me a hint, howto install a custom tbz permanantly?

cheers

oliver

ProtoSD

MVP
hen, the reboot, and everything was gone.

can somebody give me a hint, howto install a custom tbz permanantly?

Oliver, please have a look at the Unofficial FAQ (in my signature below), it doesn't tell how, but it tells you why it doesn't work. This question has been asked/explained a bizillion times already.

da_oli

Dabbler
hi protosd,

you're right, i found the unofficial FAQ after i posted this.
sorry about that.

ProtoSD

MVP
No problem, I'm not sure what you're trying to add-on, but possibly a Jail would work. They don't take up much space, they live on your disk, so they persist after a reboot, and they don't affect your FreeNAS installation. They're like a mini virtual machine and since I've recently discovered them, I've become hooked on them because they solve a lot of the problems people have with FreeNAS and not being able to install FreeNAS on a hard drive, and not being able to add packages to FreeNAS itself because it's on a small flash drive that can't handle all the reading and writing of a hard drive based OS. A whole Jail only takes up a few hundred megabytes depending on the packages you want to add, and they can access the disk space on your NAS through a mechanism called nullfs. I've posted a couple of HowTo's for some different apps in the HowTo section that you could use as a template if you wanted to give this a try.

Hope that helps you do what you want and use FreeNAS at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.