Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

shpxnvz

Dabbler
Hey everyone, just signed up and started downloading the distro. I've been demoing Rockstor for the last six months or so which has been fun, and ready to start giving FreeNAS a try. I'll be trying to get it up and running on a 12-bay Supermicro system with the RAID card flashed to pass-through. Hopefully won't run into too many problems!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forums!

What kind of RAID card do you have? Some can't be configured to simply pass the disks through in the desired manner. Hopefully yours is not one of these. A quick search of the forum for your particular model will probably reveal this info.

Good luck!

shpxnvz

Dabbler
Thanks!

It's an LSI SAS2008 based card, I flashed it a ways back when setting up Rockstor and it's been working great in pass-through mode since then. Maybe I'll start a thread on the "build" even though it's already built and just getting a new NAS OS installed.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
That card will work great. The current version of FreeNAS will complain, though, if you're not using version P20 of the firmware.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Oh, good to know. I don't recall which version I flashed, except that I don't think it was the latest. I'll have to see which firmware file I have laying around to check I think. Will it still work properly if its pre-20?

I posted up a new thread with more hardware details:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/new-installation-on-existing-hardware.50442/
It will work, but I understand there's a risk if the version installed on the card varies from what FreeNAS expects.

Here is the LSI 9211 downloads page. The absolute latest-n-greatest version (20.00.07.00) is only available in the 'Package_P20_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows'. You can extract the IT mode firmware from this archive and use your favorite tools to install it on your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.