How to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennuis

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I'm playing with a FreeNAS vm now before installing it tonight on my production server at home. I can't seem to get the permissions on shares right.

This is what is have :

- 3 users (Dennis, Simone & Mark)
- 2 shares (Downloads & Photos)

I want everybody to be able to access Photos, but only Dennis can write in the Photo share.
Besides that i want only Dennis to be able to read & write the Downloads share.

Anybody knows how i can achieve this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I suggest you read around, there have been a few threads on the matter that contain useful advice.

Unfortunately, it's a complicated matter and it takes time to understand.

Dennuis

Cadet
I suggest you read around, there have been a few threads on the matter that contain useful advice.

Unfortunately, it's a complicated matter and it takes time to understand.

I don't get why it is so complicated? When i get a random other distro (ZFSGuru, Ubuntu, whatever) it is very easy to achieve this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't get why it is so complicated? When i get a random other distro (ZFSGuru, Ubuntu, whatever) it is very easy to achieve this?

Honestly, I don't have the experience to tell you just what makes it so complicated. I'm still in the early stages of planning my FreeNAS server. However, general consensus is that when something's wrong with permissions, it can quickly become a nightmare to solve.

If you're using Windows, this recent guide (some say it works, but I haven't tried it myself) might be of use.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are asking for some basic permissions which you should be able to work out on your own using the users guide, if you have problems then do a search of these forums for some help, there is a lot of it already written here. If you are getting into Active Directory (AD) then that changes things in a major way and if that is the case then I highly recommend you wait until FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 comes out. There are heavy improvements with respect to AD and folder/file permissions. I have no clue about AD and hope I never have to learn how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.