How to upload a Jail template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. So today I made a .tar of a virtual machine that I want to run in FreeNas, but I'm struggling to upload it.

I created an FTP share in windows, added the template in FreeNas "ftp://10.0.1.45/backup.tgz". Then when I go to add the Jail I get this error message...

ftp://10.0.1.45/backup.tgz: Operation timed out ERROR: Failed extracting: ftp://10.0.1.45/backup.tgz cannot open 'Raid-Set/Jail/.warden-template-Arma': dataset does not exist ERROR: Failed to create ZFS base dataset

Can anyone give me a little guidance with this please?

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris230291

Patron
Thanks for the fast reply!
Yes I am. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the file, the server thing I set up (FTP), or my FreeNas server.

Chris

D

dlavigne

It sounds like a bug then as the underlying template importer should automagically create that dataset for you. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

In the mean time, and out of curiosity, can you create a dataset named .warden-template-Arma ? If so, does it then let you import your template?

Chris230291

Patron
It sounds like a bug then as the underlying template importer should automagically create that dataset for you. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

In the mean time, and out of curiosity, can you create a dataset named .warden-template-Arma ? If so, does it then let you import your template?

Ok I will try to create a bug report.

If I try to create a dataset named ".warden-template-Arma" (by going to storage, selecting my Jail dataset, then clicking create ZFS dataset) I get this message...

Dataset names must begin with an alphanumeric character and may only contain "-", "_", ":" and "."."

If I just type in "arma", it creates one with no problems.

Cheers,
Chris.

D

dlavigne

No, that message makes sense, and is why I was curious. I didn't think it would let you make a hidden dataset from the GUI (starts with a dot). However, the jail backend should be able to make that dataset for you and is clearly failing to do so.

Chris230291

Patron
No, that message makes sense, and is why I was curious. I didn't think it would let you make a hidden dataset from the GUI (starts with a dot). However, the jail backend should be able to make that dataset for you and is clearly failing to do so.

Hmmm Ok. I will try to make a bug report now then.
If this is a bug, is there nothing I can do to get this working now?

D

dlavigne

Not that I can think of. Hopefully the dev will respond with a workaround for your bug soon.

Chris230291

Patron
Ok well I filed the report. Hope I did it right...

Bug #4505

I also just noticed that there's a more up-to-date version or FreeNas available (9.2.1.2). I'm running 9.2.0 so I will try updating now.

Chris.

EDIT: Just updated and I'm still getting the same error message.
In the future will it be possible to upload the template rather than set up an FTP?

Chris230291

Patron
I just created "Raid-Set/Jail/.warden-template-Arma" by using SSH, the problem now is it says, "ERROR: A template with this nickname already exists!"

Does anyone know a work around for this until it's fixed?

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris230291

Patron
I was told that rebooting would fix the error after updating but now I get a different error, this one... "ERROR: Invalid option: 3"
Does anyone know why I get this error?

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.