how to turn a single USB boot drive into two mirrored one?

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
Hello everyone!
While Covid19 was striking,I succesfully installed FreeNas on HP Proliant ML310e GEN8, Xeon quad core, 32GB ECC ram... did test and experiments with 10Gbe networking ecc... but...
All is booting from a single 16GB usb2 thumbdrive... I got myself a SAS 2308IT controller to add more drives, and boot from a couple of mirrored Intel 80GB SSD.

Meanwhile, how can I turn my single boot device into a couple of mirrored usb devices?

Any help is very much appreciated!
Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean a couple of mirrored SATA devices? Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand the plan.

In any case, there's an option in the GUI to add a mirror to the boot drive. Check the manual. Alternatively, you can do a fresh install and select as many boot devices as you want during the install process and they will be mirrored.

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
You mean a couple of mirrored SATA devices? Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand the plan.

In any case, there's an option in the GUI to add a mirror to the boot drive. Check the manual. Alternatively, you can do a fresh install and select as many boot devices as you want during the install process and they will be mirrored.

I mean a couple of mirrored USB devices. At the moment, the system boots from a usb thumbdrive.... I want to add another, for safety purpose.
In the future, I'll do a fresh system install on a couple of mirrored SATA devices :smile:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's one of those things not worth putting off if the system supports it, but it's your decision.

If you are planning on a couple of SATA drives for boot, why not pick up a couple of Kingston A400 SSDs (yes, they are 120GB but they are only about $25/each). You could add one SSD to your boot drive as a mirror, remove the USB thumb drive and then add the second SSD as the mirror...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I mean a couple of mirrored USB devices.
I think that what @Ericloewe is trying to get you to understand is this, getting off the USB boot device should be your first priority.
USB devices were once the recommended option because they saved having to use one of the limited number of SATA ports on a boot device, but they have been shown to be unreliable in the recent past which is why, even though they do still work, they are not recommended any more.
It is very simple to move your boot device to a SSD as @Newfoundland.Republic suggested, and that is significantly more reliable, which is the goal.
For most of us, I think, having reliable storage is the thing that brought us to ZFS and FreeNAS, and now TrueNAS.