SOLVED how to transfer metadada from old Plex plugin to a new one

Keven

Contributor
hi, i have had problem updating iocage jail since 11.2 beta 1. i am now in 11.2-u6 and i head that they have problem too in 11.3 too. after half a dozen of bug report over the years which did not solve my problem, i am in a desperate need of updating my plex-pass jail to solve some bug and get the new feature in plex, but i don't want to loose all the metadata. i have already copy the "plexdata" folder which contain cache; codecs; disgnostics; logs; media; metadata; plug-in support; plug-ins; preferences.xml

i have tried following the guide on the plex forum, but it is kind of old and things are not in the same place as my iocage jail and nobody can help me on the plex forum, so if someone know how to transfer metadata and watch status to a new plex instance i would really appreciate.

thanks Keven

msbxa

Contributor
I followed the alternative method to migrate my metadata of plex from warden to iocage or iocage old to iocage new.

Keven

Contributor
@msbxa i have tried that and the result it gave me was i got all the list of movie i had, but without proper custom naming, without thumbnail, and without view history.

i have tried to copy paste the "metadata" and "media" folder to the new jail, but it did not work. i have noted that my previous installation of plex had a folder called "iocage_plexdata"inside .../root/Plex Media Server
but the new one doesn't. can it be the reason or it is unrelated?

msbxa

Contributor
There is one thing you have to do is to logout and login and later delete old plex server in Authorized devices. Plex has its complexity to configure it In the beginnin.

Keven

Contributor
There is one thing you have to do is to logout and login and later delete old plex server in Authorized devices. Plex has its complexity to configure it In the beginnin.
just tried to log out and in again without deleting the old plex, but i'm sorry, but i don't understand how it could have bring up the thumbnail, custon naming and view history?

msbxa

Contributor
One question did plex scan your library in the beginning? if not you’ll not see any metadata

Keven

Contributor
One question did plex scan your library in the beginning? if not you’ll not see any metadata
yes i added the movie library before moving the settings sql and the metadata & media folder.

just to be clear i'm not looking for the generic artwork that plex find in it's server. i am looking for the same artwork i chose, change and upload as manual artwork from the old plex

FJep

Dabbler
Perhaps this will help:

Keven

Contributor
Perhaps this will help:
the problem is i don't have the "plexdata-plexpass" folder i have been looking inside my jails, but cannot find it (also kind of hard navigating folder in the CLI when you search something) the closest thing would be ".../root/Plex Media Server/iocage_plexdata/"

i don't know why the folder structure is always different from 1 plex instance from an other... even the new fresh one i created don't have the same folder... and i don't change place the folder's default location

Keven

Contributor
sometime we are thinking too hard and the answer is right in our face...

it was actually workingit's just that i was looking at the server called plex-plexpass_2 which was added when i created the plugin, but when i copied over all the database it included the name of the server, so after that it was called plex-plexpass... and i just overlook that thinking it was my other plex server still showing up. the step i did if it can help other people are the following.

for reference
my share is under /mnt/Vol1/Bibliotheque
my jails are under /mnt/iocage/jails/...

Code:
cp "/mnt/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass_2/root/Plex Media Server/" "/mnt Vol1/Bibliotheque/

Code:
cd "/mnt/Vol1/Bibliotheque/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases"

Code:
echo ".dump metadata_item_settings" | sqlite3 com.plexapp.plugins.library.db | grep -v TABLE | grep -v INDEX > settings.sql

Code:
cd "/mnt/Vol1/Bibliotheque/

Code:
tar -czvf "plex Media Server.tar.gz" "Plex Media Server"

4. make new plex plugin

5. stop the plugin plugin

Code:
rm -r "/mnt/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass_2/root/Plex Media Server/"

Code:
cp "/mnt Vol1/Bibliotheque/Plex Media Server.tar.gz" /mnt/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass_2/root/

8. décompresser le fichier
Code:
cd /mnt/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass_2/root/

Code:
tar -xzvf "Plex Media Server.tar.gz"

Code:
cd "/mnt/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass_2/root/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases"

Code:
cat settings.sql | sqlite3 com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

10. create mount point for plex
11. start plex