how to replace disks to autoexpand a vdev when you have a spare port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Could this procedure be added to the manual under section 8.1.11?

If you have a spare SATA port (or an eSATA port and a hard drive dock) you can use the GUI to replace the disks one at a time in a somewhat simpler and safer process than the manual describes for replacing a failed disk:
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Install one new disk.
  3. Start up the system.
  4. Go to the Storage screen, select the pool and click the Volume Status button.
  5. In the Volume Status screen, select a disk and click the Replace button.
  6. Choose the new disk as the replacement.
When the new disk has resilvered the old one will be automatically offlined. You can then shut down the system and physically remove the replaced disk. One advantage of this approach is that there is no loss of redundancy during the resilver.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Submit this as a feature request in the bug reporting system (link at top of each page). If they agree then Dru will add it into the manual. If you have already created a report, please list the report number.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You do not need to create a thread unless you are asking a question. If you only create a bug report, iXsystems will ensure any user guide additions are correct before adding them.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So this is different from the procedure for bug reports? I thought I had read that those should go to a topic first. Maybe I imagined it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's basically a "use your best judgement" kind of situation.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The problem with if you only create a posting is the iXsystem folks may or may not see your posting and while you may get some feedback, you might never get this implemented into the manual. Creating a bug report will get it seen by the correct people to screen it for validity and implement it. Well that is my opinion.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I get that a bug report would be needed to get it actioned, I just thought the protocol was to discuss it first. Anyway, Dru has screened the report so everything seems to be in order.

Thanks for chiming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.