SOLVED How to reconnect to a box with unknown Ethernet config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
We already have a severe case of Feature creep and FreeNAS already feels like little more that a beta (MAYBE an RC) for TrueNAS. Lets not add more to the plates of people that are trying to reinvent the wheel in the form of a NAS.

[RANT] WHY ARE WE TRYING TO MAKE A NAS INTO A HYPERCONVERGED SOLUTION THAT RUNS A PRIMITIVE HYPERVISOR AND STILL CALL IT A NAS?!?!o_O[/RANT]
Sorry... That just came out of nowhere.:D

[RANT] WHY ARE WE TRYING TO MAKE A NAS INTO A HYPERCONVERGED SOLUTION THAT RUNS A PRIMITIVE HYPERVISOR AND STILL CALL IT A NAS?!?!o_O[/RANT]

Oh, you are killing me Smalls! :) The funny thing is that this happens to almost every specialized platform I have seen in 30+ in I.T. I am mostly a router jockey now, and they are damn near a swiss army knife/Tastycake device these days. I am actually old enough to remember when wide area connection actually connected directly to hosts. The hosts did a pretty mediocre job of doing that, so a few places started making purpose built devices that only did routing. Once it got really good at that somebody somewhere said "That is great, but couldn't we just add a little bit of code and make it do X?" Sigh. Picturing myself as David Byrne smacking myself in the head now....

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't really buy that eth0 is going away; I'd rather expect new aliases and new ways to identify devices come up. (Linus gets really angry if people break backwards compatibility. Not that Linus has much say in distro policy, but people tend to listen to him when he's talking about kernel-related stuff.)
My first thought was who is Linus and why do you care about what he thinks, then I remembered that is the name of one of the people that develops Linux, but I still see no relationship with FreeNAS because it is built on BSD Unix. Linux is a distant cousin, maybe, so they share some features, but they two different things.
I think Freenas should be somewhat smarter to cover the "started in a VM and was transplanted to real hardware" case.
Maybe a new Console Setup action "Prepare for new hardware", setting up things so that it will aggressively connect to whatever network driver reports a DHCP response. And possibly reset any other persistent driver stuff back to "autodetect" instead of assuming the previous hardware is still there but inactive.

What do people think?

If some kind of consensus emerges, I'll set up a bug tracker entry.
It has always been the case that if the FreeNAS boot media was moved to a different platform, whether it is physically or virtually, the network configuration was one that that was most likely going to need to be corrected. That's why the settings for it are right on the console menu.
You always need to have a way to get a console for troubleshooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

kdragon75

Wizard

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
RS-232 anyone?
It is disabled by default and you have to turn the service on in the GUI. NAS means Network, so the network needs to be working for the rest of it to be configured.

kdragon75

Wizard
It would be nice to have it enabled by default. I understand that with such wide ranging hardware its hard to know what actually has a port connected and what's just a header (if even populated) inside the case.

It would be nice to have it enabled by default.

I suspect that is more of a security related decision than anything else. I certainly understand your point, but having things come out of the box with a more secure configuration seems like a good thing to me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It would be nice to have it enabled by default. I understand that with such wide ranging hardware its hard to know what actually has a port connected and what's just a header (if even populated) inside the case.
Well, configuration of what port and the speed / handshake are things that are configured when you enable the service.

kdragon75

Wizard
I hereby proclaim this horse dead!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I suspect that is more of a security related decision than anything else. I certainly understand your point, but having things come out of the box with a more secure configuration seems like a good thing to me.
If I recall correctly, if you stop the setup before the "Wizard" runs, then you don't have any service enabled and the only thing that is available is the local console and the web GUI.
The setup guide I used when I configured my first FreeNAS stepped through setting everything up without the wizard and one of the things was the serial port as a backup. Good thing too, because the hardware I was using back then didnt activate the VGA port if a monitor wasn't connected to it and my KVM wasn't producing a phantom load to trick it.
More times than one, the only way I had of fixing the problem was that serial port.

pro lamer

Guru

pro lamer

Guru
You can have a green prefix. Steps to be done on a mobile device:
  1. Tap "thread tools"
  2. Tap "edit title"
  3. Tap "no prefix"
  4. Tap "solved"

Status
Not open for further replies.