How to reconfigure FREE NAS if my PEN drive got corrupted and retrive my backup data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naveen S

Cadet
How to reconfigure FREE NAS if my PEN drive got corrupted and retrieve my backup data which is saved in my harddisk.
i just tried reinstalling the FREE NAS OS to new pen drive and booted it through new pen drive but it shows all new configuration and when configuring the storage it say all data will be lost.

So please help me on this

Last edited:

gpsguy

Did you ever download/backup the configuration file? If so, you could restore it now. Otherwise:

Go to Storage → Volumes → Import Volume to re-import your volume

Naveen S

Cadet
thanks for your support, where and how can i download or backup configuration file.

Waiting for your responce.

thank you.

Knowltey

Patron
Backup 101: Don't store the backup on the thing being backed up.

If the only copy of your NAS configuration is on your NAS, then you're going to have to do whatever basic configuration is needed to access it. You'll need to import your pool and then set up a share or whatever you need to actually reach the data and then you can use the FreeNAS GUI at that point to upload the configuration.

Naveen S

Cadet
Hi Thanks for the reply.....:)

His there any chances so that i can connect the FreeNAS's stored data hard disk as external hard disk to windows machine and use the same.

Knowltey

Patron
No, Windows cannot read ZFS. Your best solution is to just use a fresh FreeNAS installation, import your zpool, then create a quick and simple CIFS share that will allow you access to the data in question.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your data is probably fine.

If you're using 9.3, just skip the wizard and do what gpsguy told you to do.

Eniac74

Dabbler
On the topic. I have just made a HW addition to my setup by installing a Supermicro 32 GB SATA DOM, which I intend to use as boot device (currently done from USB stick). So, now that I am about to switch from the USB to the SATA DOM as boot device, I thought I would do a dry swim on what I would actually need to do if my boot device were to break down somehow.

From the manual and the postings I have read, my understanding is
1. Save current configuration file, SYSTEM->GENERAL->SAVE CONFIG
2. Reboot system and place USB stick with FreeNAS iso into appropriate USB2 port
3. Enter BIOS setup to change boot order and boot from USB stick in point 2 above
4. Perform fresh install of FreeNAS on SATA DOM
5. Reboot and boot from SATA DOM
6. Restore old configuration by SYSTEM->GENERAL->UPLOAD CONFIG (choosing the file in point 1 above)​

Questions:
A. Is this how it is done/intended?
B. Do I need to reboot after that in order to have the correct configuration back in play?
C. Do I need to do anything more?

Eniac74

Dabbler
I followed the procedure above and now I have it all up and running with the same configuration as previously (but booted from the SATA DOM instead).
However, upon the first automatic reboot after uploading the config file I ran into the screen below, before being able to enter BIOS setup.
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 20.04.18.png
I overcame it by rebooting again, but am interested to know what it actually says, or a reasonable explanation of why this screen popped up. I have no clue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's the UEFI shell. Your system decided to boot to the UEFI shell for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.