how to pass /dev/cd0 through to vbox guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaassh

Dabbler
I'm not seeing the ability to pass my optical drive through to a guest.

I also tried attaching it directly with VBoxManage, but i'm not getting very far. Has anyone been able to do this?

root@virtualbox:~ # su vbox

$ VBoxManage storageattach win7 --device 0 --port 0 --type dvddrive --storagectl IDE --medium /dev/cd0
VBoxManage: error: The medium '/dev/cd0' can't be used as the requested device type
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Medium, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 178 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
VBoxManage: error: Invalid UUID or filename "/dev/cd0"

$ ls -l /dev/cd0
crwxrwxrwx 1 root operator 0x78 Apr 24 00:48 /dev/cd0

$ file /dev/cd0
/dev/cd0: character special

$ mount
boxes/virtualbox on / (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I haven't tried to do this. I'm pretty confident in saying a few things about this:

1. FreeNAS doesn't really expect you to use a CD-ROM, except for initial installation. So there are zero provisions in the WebGUI and no code in the standard WebGUI scripts that invoke the CD-ROM device.
2. I didn't test the CD-ROM drive in Virtualbox. Since it may or may not have all the required drivers and other code to make the CD-ROM drive work with FreeNAS installed, there was no expectation it would even work, so I didn't bother trying.
3. You'd be the first to make this work as far as I know, if you got it to work.

jaaassh

Dabbler
Fairly new to BSD in general, so not sure if there are other things I can check. I though I'd just try mounting the drive in freenas (forget vbox):

[root@freenas] ~# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /media/cdrom
mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0: Invalid argument

...which lead me to see if there are any traces of the cd drive in dmesg

[root@freenas] ~# dmesg | grep cd
[root@freenas] ~#

..so at this point with @cyberjock's comments about missing drivers, i'm not sure where or what /dev/cd0 actually is, if anything.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would jump in IRC and see if anyone knows. I'm working right now, so it's not a good time for me to try this out (I don't have a CDROM I could use in my server unfortunately).

Status
Not open for further replies.