SOLVED How to move up in the world? (Upgrade Recommendations Wanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
Hello everyone, been running my FreeNas box for a while now. It's been great, however with the beauty of Plex comes the want for everyone and their brother to take hold of my media data base and pound it into oblivion. Malheureusement, I bought a lowly C2550D4I mobo for this purpose. It just doesn't quite cut it.

And so I am trying to decide where to move next. My current array has 4 drives, and is unlikely to exceed 6 anytime soon (ITX-only Node 304 build).

So with that in mind what would you guys recommend?

Options that preserve ram
Move up to a C2750? (And potentially hit the wall again later on)
Move to i3/Xeon E3 v3? (Would need a motherboard recommendation, I don't really know the practical differences between the c224 and c226 chipsets)

Options that require new ram
Move to Xeon-D
Move to i3/Xeon E3 v5

I am not particularly interested in grabbing older server parts (as noise is actually a very important base characteristic in my particular environment), but if you guys have specific other recommendations I would be quite happy to hear about them.

(Oh, I don't run any VMs for the moment or likely for the future, and the most rigorous expected load would be something like 2-4 simultaneous 1080p Plex transcodes, at least until plex supports x265 direct play on ALL the devices that actually can handle it)

PS: While I know the c2550d4i hasn't been known for it's amazing durability, mine is still under warranty, and feel free to pm me if you'd be interested in grabbing it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You have a lot of options available but I'm not a Plex expert, I just stream up to 2 movies at a time at the most and that is rare. After reading your posting I thought that it was very clear on what you want and I appreciate it. The title of the thread was a bit odd but the content was good. I only have two questions.

1. Do you strongly desire to retain the same form factor of Mini ITX? This alone would reduce your options quickly but at least there are options.
2. What RAM do you currently have installed? (Make/Model) Maybe it could be reused.

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
You have a lot of options available but I'm not a Plex expert, I just stream up to 2 movies at a time at the most and that is rare. After reading your posting I thought that it was very clear on what you want and I appreciate it. The title of the thread was a bit odd but the content was good. I only have two questions.

1. Do you strongly desire to retain the same form factor of Mini ITX? This alone would reduce your options quickly but at least there are options.
2. What RAM do you currently have installed? (Make/Model) Maybe it could be reused.
1. Yes, I really would like to retain ITX so I can keep on using this very quiet and nice looking node 304 haha. Otherwise I'd have to buy another case and that would be annoying.

2. Ugh, Kingston 2x8GB DDR3-1333 ECC-UDIMM, so yea if I can get my hands on a LGA1150 system I can probably reuse my ram.

Stux

MVP
I'd suggest a Xeon d i think if you were set on itx.

If you're considering micro atx then an X11/e3v5.

Either system uses DDR4

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
I'd suggest a Xeon d i think if you were set on itx.

If you're considering micro atx then an X11/e3v5.

Either system uses DDR4
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I did end up buying a C224 board and a 1230v3 so I could keep my ram. Instantly noticed the difference in plex (actually far more than I expected to notice it, even my housemates commented on it.)

That means I have a c2550d4i if anyone is interested *wink* *wink*

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I did end up buying a C224 board and a 1230v3 so I could keep my ram. Instantly noticed the difference in plex (actually far more than I expected to notice it, even my housemates commented on it.)

That means I have a c2550d4i if anyone is interested *wink* *wink*
You can advertise this in the Off Topic section. Be clear on exactly what you have to sale, maybe add a photo. All we ask is you use something like ebay to conduct the transaction for the safety of both parties. Of course post the ebay link as well in that thread.

Glad the new board is doing you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.