How to migrate IoT Stack based on Docker to TrueNAS

Axel-T

Cadet
Hi
Currently I run an IoT Stack composed out of Mosquitto (mqtt), Grafana/InfluxDB, NodeRed and Homebridge hosted on Ubuntu 20.04 using Docker.
Now I want to move this installation to a TrueNAS install.
Data and configuration are located inside docker volumes. So fare so good.
NodeRed and Homebridge are simple (Export Flows and Data and reimport...
But how to move the Grafana/InfluxDB to the new Setup? Did someone attempt this? How are data (volumes in docker) are managed in TrueNAS Jails?

BR,
Axel

Arwen

MVP
Have you looked at TrueNAS SCALE?

It's based on the Linux kernel and has support for K8. It's not quite Docker, and SCALE is in Beta right now. Even after Beta, their are likely features that still are pending, (like the clustered storage).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How are data (volumes in docker) are managed in TrueNAS Jails?
ZFS datasets or really arbitrary directories can be mounted at arbitrary paths inside a jail. So that's the "persistence outside the jail" concept of TrueNAS. For small applications you might want to just leave the data inside the jail, because all jail storage is persistent, too, in FreeBSD.

Axel-T

Cadet
Thanks for the comments.
I want to keep data and app separate. Data I collect in InfluxDB are the current sensor data of my house (solar, heating, ventilation, power consumption, ...) and my garden (temp in air, temp in soil, humiditiy of soil, ...) over all close to 50 sensors of various types.
I don't want to loose this by deleting a container during update or whatever reason - happened once.

My system landscape is Linux and Mac - so I could stick to what I have but I want to free myself from too many upgrades and release upgrades like in Ubuntu. That's why I moved my storage backend to TrueNAS...

Looks, that I have to figure it out myself how to move the stuff from A to B...