How To Interpret IOzone Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
I may be getting an 250 GB NVME drive soon (Samsung 950 or 960 Pro/Evo) and I'm not sure whether I want to use it as an L2ARC or as a volume for all of my VMs and their associated datasets. I'm leaning towards the latter since I only have 64 GB of RAM and still have space for another 64 GB, also I think the VMs would make better use of the available IOPS and massive bandwidth since I'll have at least 3 VMs and at least 3 Docker Containers running, which will be reading and writing data to my pool of HDDs. Currently everything is in the same pool and it's probably hurting performance.

According to the stats on NewEggs page regarding the 960 pro it does up to 3.2 GB/sec sequential read and 1.5 GB/sec sequential write

4K Random Read
up to 330,000 IOPS (4KB , QD32)
Up to 14,000 IOPS (4KB, QD1)

4K Random Write
Up to 300,000 IOPS (4KB, QD32)
Up to 50,000 IOPS (4KB, QD1)

I know my pool of 6x HGST 4 TB and 2x WD 1 TB connected to my m1015 HBA does about 550 MB/sec sequential write and 275 MB/sec sequential read (I have them in striped mirrors), I was wondering what the random performance was so I ran iozone -aI (with all my VMs shut down and sharing protocols disabled) and got the results in both KB/sec and IOPS and have them imported into an Excel workbook but I'm not sure what type of chart would be best, I'm using Excel 2013. Also I don't know what values are listed vertically and what are listed horizontally in the spreadsheet. I've attached the workbook with both datasets, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• iozone.rar
    37 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

brando56894

Wizard
Nope :( I may be getting the drives for Christmas, and I won't be using them for an L2ARC or pool until FreeNAS 10 is released. I moved back to Arch w/ZoL for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.