How to import a web UI certificate bundle?

Stilez

Guru
I've got a certificate bundle (intermediate CA stuff and certs) for the internal web server. I'm new to this area; is there guidance how to import a bundle like that into the Web UI web server?

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Stilez

Guru
You'll need to use openssl to extract the various parts of the bundle in PEM ASCII format suitable for import into the GUI. See https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...from-pfx-in-pem-format-without-bag-attributes.
Import the intermediate CA files and the actual cert, individually then? As I'm less familiar with this, can you run me through which files I should expect to need to import, and the steps to do, so I can check I do all the ones I need? And which one I add to my web browser as a new root cert?

This is what I have, and what I know so far:
  • OPNSense (local BSD router very similar to and forked from pfSense) uses Lets Encrypt with automated renewal, to generate a root CA for all devices serving https on my domain + LAN. That's working so far
  • I know it's good practice to use this to sign an intermediate CA, then keep the private key offline safe. Use the intermediate CA to generate the actual HTTPS cert. Done those too, and they work.
  • But I don't know what happens when I renew the original CA every 60 days as LE requires - how that new cert trickles down to any updated intermediate CA etc every month? (If it doesn't, what's the point of requesting a renewal? But if it does do I need to manually resign/reissue my local intermediate CA + https certs every 60 days, and re-import them from OPNSense to TrueNAS?)
  • However it works, I use the intermediate CA to issue a cert for the domain/subdomain/host/IP/whatever for web server use. Again, automated reissue, or can I issue one cert for 10 years?
  • And then I have a ton of files, maybe 3 or 4 per CA or cert so 12 in all, and I need to upload some of them to TrueNAS for its web server use (enough to validate the certificate chain), some in cold storage, and some added to my browser. Which goes where I don't really know.
If you can shed light on this, you probably will understand better than I do, where I'm confused and what aspects I need to understand better.

Any help in making this clearer - it's not at all clear to me right now - would be very good, thanks!

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
On my system, I only needed to import the system cert and private key, and didn't need to import the remainder of the CA chain. Using the instructions in the link, you can extract the cert and private key using

Code:
openssl pkcs12 -in <filename.pfx> -nocerts -nodes | sed -ne '/-BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-/,/-END PRIVATE KEY-/p' > <clientcert.key>
openssl pkcs12 -in <filename.pfx> -clcerts -nokeys | sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > <clientcert.cer>

Then cut and paste the contents of the cert and private key files into System->Certificates, setting the pull-down to "Import Certificate"

1598476805812.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, no, no. It's much simpler--just paste the "full chain" (intermediate CA cert(s) and leaf cert) in the "Certificate" field, and the private key in its field. Easy peasy. Or better yet, get the certs on the FreeNAS box itself using Let's Encrypt and automate deployment using my script.

rmvanderspek

Dabbler
When I paste my chain certificate I get:

Private key does not match certificate.

Anyone know what to do. When I paste my certificate (without the chain), it works, but some clients don't accept that.