How to find the reason for an unscheduled system reboot?

chri5

Explorer
As the post title says. I've had a few unscheduled system reboots over the last few weeks. How can I find the reasons for these reboots?

chri5

Explorer
Any help with this? I seem to be getting an unscheduled reboot every week.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have a look in /var/log and look at files like messages (and the previous ones) and middlewared.log (and previous ones).

If we just cut to the chase, a kernel panic is likely to be triggered by either a bad driver (you are running a Realtek NIC, so I would immediately look at associating high network activity like a replication task or backup with the issue) or hardware faults...

EDIT: oh, also, you're running Ryzen, so have you disabled Cool 'n' Quiet and C-states in the BIOS?

chri5

Explorer
Have a look in /var/log and look at files like messages (and the previous ones) and middlewared.log (and previous ones).

If we just cut to the chase, a kernel panic is likely to be triggered by either a bad driver (you are running a Realtek NIC, so I would immediately look at associating high network activity like a replication task or backup with the issue) or hardware faults...

EDIT: oh, also, you're running Ryzen, so have you disabled Cool 'n' Quiet and C-states in the BIOS?
Thanks! I'll check those BIOS settings also.

chri5

Explorer
uptime.png

Looks like it was those BIOS settings. Never had 22 days of uptime, usually rebooted around 5-7 days thanks!