How to copy boot flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
I'm looking for instructions about how to replace a working flash disk... ie copying an existing setup to a new USB stick. My FreeNAS box does have an extra USB port so that I could copy it directly, but I'm not sure whether I can do this through the GUI...

The direction you go here all depends on what you are trying to do. What is the copy for? Are you going to mirror your boot drive? Make a backup copy? Do you really just need the config file for FreeNAS? Or something else, perhaps?

balanga

Patron
Can't I just do something like

dd if=/dev/da0 of=/devda1

Apologies if that is a dumb question...

gpsguy

It's not a dumb question, but the reality is that for FreeNAS, it's doesn't work reliably.

Please follow dlavigne's sage advice, it's the recommended way.

If you want additional fault tolerance, consider using 2 flash drives and mirroring them. FreeNAS 9.3 supports this configuration.

Nick2253

Wizard
If all you want to do is replace your thumbdrive with another one, do as dlavigne says.

However, make sure you are installing the same version of FreeNAS. If you've got 9.2.x or older, I'd recommend upgrading first to the most recent 9.3 on your old stick, and then save the config. Then you can install 9.3 on the new stick, and load the config. In fact, I just did those exact steps to upgrade from an 4GB drive to a 16GB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.