How to change WebGUI port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 dedicated servers running in my house, they both have their own dedicated IP's, and they both run on a Fiber ISP. One box is for Only hosting Game Servers and Voice Servers for clients, the other box is for Web Hosting. The web hosting box is running on the default HTTP Port 80, and 443 for HTTPS.

The problem is I dont have anymore IP's available, so I have to use one of the IP's I already have. And you can only use 1 port per IP. Since the web hosting box is already running Port 80 and 443, I have to change the FreeNAS WebGUI port to something other then Port 80.

How do I change the WebGUI to something like port 81 or 82? I am running FreeNAS 9.3.

EDIT: Someone said to edit the "conf.xml" file, but I cannot find that file anywhere.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why would a different box need to run the web server on a different port? Each box has its own ip so using the same port shouldn't matter?

Maybe you are trying to access this from outside your network? Exposing FreeNAS to the outside world shouldn't be something you are doing. If you really want to do that you use Nat and redirect the port.

My Web Server and FreeNAS are using the same IP. Different Local IP's, but same Public IP. And the way my Network is setup, I have to forward the Web Port (80) so its accessible on or off the network. And since they are both using the same IP, I need to change the FreeNAS Web Port to 81 (or 8080). I have to forward the port though, and you cant forward the same port for 2 IP's on the local network.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What they said ^

So, my web server is at 192.168.1.106 Port 80 (HTTP) and Port 443 (HTTPS)

My FreeNAS is at 192.168.1.115 running on the default Port 80.

They both are using the same Public IP.

When I go to my freenas IP on my local network, nothing shows up. And that is because Port 80 is being used by my web server already.

I need to change my FreeNAS http port to listen on port 8080 (or 81, 82, etc...)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No you don't need to change your FreeNAS giu port. If you go to your FreeNAS IP on port 80 on your local network you will get your FreeNAS GUI. If you don't then you have something else wrong on your network. If you want to access it from outside your network then you need to change your router settings and modify your port forward settings.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
As already mentioned, it is a stupid idea to put your NAS on the public facing Internet.

But, if you are using your INTERNAL IP of your Freenas box then you should be getting your Freenas box. This has nothing to do with port numbers. You have a seriously misconfigured network if the basics are failing like that

I dont understand.

I ask a simple question, "How do you change the listen port of the freenas nginx web server?", and I get a bunch of answers to questions I didnt even ask.

I don't want to run the FreeNAS GUI on port 80. It conflicts with my Server Rack.

But its ok, I found the config file with the listen port. To anyone that is also looking for this file, its here:

FreeNAS 9.3

/usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf

Thanks everyone. ;)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
now reboot and see if it sticks.

seriously though, none of us understand how browsing to 192.168.1.115 takes you to 192.168.1.106. you have something fundamentally wrong with your configuration.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Am I smoking crack?

There's a giant box in the System systems for the GUI port....

Why is the user not being directed to that?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Because his issue doesn't make any sense.
That's fair. I don't understand what the hell he's saying either, and in any case, he doesn't appear to have enough experience/understanding to be doing what he's doing. And it also defies logic that, within 120 seconds of using FreeNAS for the first time, that you would not know how to change the webGUI port, since it's in the main system options screen, near the top of the list. So yes, I, too, wonder what's going on here.

But I still would have given him the answer immediately. He did ask a clear question, with a clear answer.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The answer to your question is that can change the port on the system tab of the gui.

The answer to your unasked root problem is to forward external port 8080 (or whatever you want) to the freenas internal ip and port 80.

qwertymodo

Contributor
You don't have to change the port in FreeNAS in order to forward as a different port on the router. For instance, you could forward port 8080 on the router to port 80 on FreeNAS and it will "switch" the port for you transparently. You would then access it via http://your.public.ip.address:8080

Switching the port on FreeNAS gains you nothing, as it is not "conflicting" with anything else on your LAN as you seem to think. The only way it could conflict is if you tried to run another web server on port 80 ON THE FREENAS BOX, and not in a jail or anything.

All of that aside, if you're going to ignore all of the incredibly well-reasoned advice to not expose the web GUI to the internet, at least use HTTPS...

Even better would be to not expose it that way at all, instead expose SSH, generate an SSH key and disable password authentication, then just tunnel the web GUI with ssh -L

objecttothis

Explorer
Guys, the OP's question seems pretty straight forward to me. Many of you are telling him not to change the WebGUI port because he can do Port Translation but not every router has a port translation interface. This is especially true of consumer level routers. Others of you aren't getting that he is likely looking to expose his FreeNAS WebGUI to the outside world and you're getting hung up on internal IP address conflicts. Most of you have a lot of experience with networking and FreeNAS, but try to take a little more humble approach and answer the OP's question with warning about exposing his WebGUI. It will make the forum a safer place for those of us who are learning as we go.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Guys, the OP's question seems pretty straight forward to me. Many of you are telling him not to change the WebGUI port because he can do Port Translation but not every router has a port translation interface. This is especially true of consumer level routers. Others of you aren't getting that he is likely looking to expose his FreeNAS WebGUI to the outside world and you're getting hung up on internal IP address conflicts. Most of you have a lot of experience with networking and FreeNAS, but try to take a little more humble approach and answer the OP's question with warning about exposing his WebGUI. It will make the forum a safer place for those of us who are learning as we go.
No, that was not the issue at all.

Re-read the thread.

Especially the part where he says that somehow port 80 on FreeNAS was messing with his web server running on port 80 on another IP....while browsing INTERNALLY.

So, despite the fact you dredged up this thread from the coffin that it should have remained in, you didn't grasp the entirety of the thread.

objecttothis

Explorer
No, that was not the issue at all.

Re-read the thread.

Especially the part where he says that somehow port 80 on FreeNAS was messing with his web server running on port 80 on another IP....while browsing INTERNALLY.

So, despite the fact you dredged up this thread from the coffin that it should have remained in, you didn't grasp the entirety of the thread.

1- I just re-read the thread, but did not see the post you are referring to. Here is what I did see in post #3
My Web Server and FreeNAS are using the same IP. Different Local IP's, but same Public IP. And the way my Network is setup, I have to forward the Web Port (80) so its accessible on or off the network. And since they are both using the same IP, I need to change the FreeNAS Web Port to 81 (or 8080). I have to forward the port though, and you cant forward the same port for 2 IP's on the local network.

In his port forwarding setup on the router he is correctly saying that he can't forward port 80 to internal ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy at the same time. If I've missed the post where he's talking about having internal browsing issues please reply with the post number.

2- Your arrogance is palpable and if I'm not mistaken the thread isn't locked. Other people have related questions and that's how I landed on the thread in the first place. Do you talk to people in person the way that you talk to people on this thread?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1- I just re-read the thread, but did not see the post you are referring to. Here is what I did see in post #3

In his port forwarding setup on the router he is correctly saying that he can't forward port 80 to internal ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy at the same time. If I've missed the post where he's talking about having internal browsing issues please reply with the post number.

2- Your arrogance is palpable and if I'm not mistaken the thread isn't locked. Other people have related questions and that's how I landed on the thread in the first place. Do you talk to people in person the way that you talk to people on this thread?

Read this carefully.

This isn't arrogance, it is simple comprehension of what the OP stated.

Since you mention that this thread isn't locked, perhaps it needs to be since it was a worthless thread to begin with. The port can be changed from the GUI, and has always been available there. If someone can't get to their freenas GUI on their local network, it isn't because of a port number.
So, my web server is at 192.168.1.106 Port 80 (HTTP) and Port 443 (HTTPS)

My FreeNAS is at 192.168.1.115 running on the default Port 80.

They both are using the same Public IP.

When I go to my freenas IP on my local network, nothing shows up. And that is because Port 80 is being used by my web server already.

I need to change my FreeNAS http port to listen on port 8080 (or 81, 82, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.