SOLVED How to calculate RAM requirements with mirrors?

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Contributor
Hello,
Following the rule of thumb: 8GB + 1GB x TB.

Let's assume my setup is as simple as: 2x6TB drives in mirroring (so, 6TB storage).

Is my RAM requirement 14GB or 20GB?

anmnz

Patron
The recommendation was always deliberately vague, and arguably is a bit outdated.

It all depends on what you are planning to do with the server. 8GB is the minimum for FreeNAS and should be adequate if you are doing nothing but serving up files.

If you are planning on running plugins/jails/VMs you will need to scale up the RAM per their requirements.

What are you planning to do with the server?

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Contributor
The recommendation was always deliberately vague, and arguably is a bit outdated.

It all depends on what you are planning to do with the server. 8GB is the minimum for FreeNAS and should be adequate if you are doing nothing but serving up files.

If you are planning on running plugins/jails/VMs you will need to scale up the RAM per their requirements.

What are you planning to do with the server?

Some transcoding, plex, storage, backup, file sharing, ownCloud.
That's it mainly!

Snow

Patron
I would say start with 32Gb And if you need more you can always upgrade I ran Plex, Back up, Sick Rage, Transmission, Sabnzbd, SMB Shares, Couch Potato, And a Vm off 32Gb but that was 3 Ver ago.

otpi

Contributor
I run 12 GB (3x4GB) for file storage and plex with 4x8TB hdds. I have another 12 GB unused sitting in a box on top of my server. I considered installing for a total of 24 GB, but decided against it (~5W/memory stick). I'll wait until I see an actual need for the extra memory. So far I have not observed a need for more than 12 GB.

(PS! I don't doubt that FN could make use of the extra 12 GB, it's just that it seems to be fine without)

Snow

Patron
I always over do every thing with servers but I come from a engineers back ground. We always have a 1:3 or 1:4 safety Margin. I tend to do the same with my servers! Knock on wood I have never had memory problems.

How many Plex users do you plan on having? See it started as just my home at first. Now all my close Friends and Family are on every night.
I see around 8-10 People Max, 3 local the reset are remote. With 1080P Video I see around 500Mb-1.5Gb Per User.
I run Plex in a Jail I made so I have full control over up dates and configs.

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Contributor
I would say start with 32Gb And if you need more you can always upgrade I ran Plex, Back up, Sick Rage, Transmission, Sabnzbd, SMB Shares, Couch Potato, And a Vm off 32Gb but that was 3 Ver ago.
Thanks, good points