What's the best storage solution with 16gb ram? UFS vs ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah

Cadet
Hi all,

I just bought a n54l hp microserv, and heard that the max ram I can put in it is 16Gb ECC.
Now I'd like to be abble to store a max of data ( 4 to 6, 6Tb drives...)

What I heard from ZFS ram requirements is: 4Tb to 8Tb for the system +1Gb/1Tb storage and that this rule is for both performances AND security purposes. I cannot meet those requirements with my hardware seeing the quantity of storage I want so unless you have an other opinion on ZFS I have to skip to something else.

What I heard from UFS ram requirements is: less ram than ZFS but never any estimation.

I'm not sure but I think I have too simple needs to loose anything by using ufs instead of zfs...

My question: I try to put together a homeserver to centralize my pictures movies, music... I need to store as much as 24Tb RAID5, with 16Gb ram. Would UFS be a viable alternative?

Thanks to take interest in my question,
Jonah

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
UFS is a terrible idea, especially since you have plenty of RAM for a home system.

You'll probably want to go with RAIDZ2 instead of RAIDZ1, though.

Jonah

Cadet
Thank you for taking time, I was wondering because ZFS is said for my sistem to require 8gb for system + 24gb for storage purpose wich make 32Gb total !

Do you confirm that 16Gb is in fact enough ? What would I loose by using UFS ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thank you for taking time, I was wondering because ZFS is said for my sistem to require 8gb for system + 24gb for storage purpose wich make 32Gb total !

Do you confirm that 16Gb is in fact enough ? What would I loose by using UFS ?

It's a rule of thumb, not a mandate. Look around, most people are running with 16GB of RAM.

Besides the lack of support, you lose everything that makes ZFS great. Especially data integrity.

Jonah

Cadet
Ok Thank you very much, I'll go for it, and I'll take a look at RAIDZ2, I don't know very well all kind of RAID, so I'll look into it !

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok Thank you very much, I'll go for it, and I'll take a look at RAIDZ2, I don't know very well all kind of RAID, so I'll look into it !

Read Cyberjock's guide (link is in my sig).

Status
Not open for further replies.