How to backup my NAS on an alternat frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svere

Dabbler
My idea was, to build a RAIDZ-NAS and Backup the Data every Week on an hot swappable hard drive bay. I didnt find a way to do this.

Is it possible to configure FreeNAS that, when i plugin the Harddrive-Bay, it makes automatic make a complete Backup from the Nas. And is it possible to plug out the bay without a Shutdown?

Another question is, is it wise to upgrade FrreNAS with the latest Nightly-Release?

Hope my english is understandable!^^

Svere

iJimmyC

Dabbler
Hey try looking at RSync...

However, I think you might have issues with the mounting and unmounting of the hot drive. - Although I see that you're using 3 x500GB drives RAIDZ (0.98GB of usable space?) Are you planning on only backing up selected directories/ files?

As for the nightly builds updates, it all depends on what you're doing..

If the build you're using works for you and you haven't encountered any issues, then I'd personally stick with it.
If you need the latest build and want as many features (bugs and all...) then you can go with that option...

Personally, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Svere

Dabbler
Hi iJimmyC,

thanks for answer. I had lain in bed with fever for the last few days, so i didnt see that you´ve answered.

a 3x 500 GB RAIDZ should have 0.98 TB of usable space. Think you meant that!^^ This is ok and should work for the first.

Im planning to make a Backup from the whole RAID. Not only from folders.

I´m afraid that you are right that FreeeNAS does not recognize when i stick in the hot drive. Does someone know how to get it work?

I´ve had some problems with the installed NAS-Version. But only things that arent a matter. I´ve created folders or changed some options. But i couldnt see them in the mask. I´ve had to log off and log in again and saw everything was done well.

Hope that someone can help me with my issues.

iJimmyC

Dabbler
Cough Cough, yes 0.98TB is what I meant.. LOL

I'm fairly sure that it is possible to have a hot drive, just so that I'm clear, you want this drive to be able to store a copy of the data that you want to take away with you so that you would have the copy of the data in two separate physical locations.

I think that Rsync will be fully working in 8.1 (when it gets released).

Then what you'd have to do is manually mount the drive each time you plug it in and then run the sync. - I think that's probably how it would work...

Svere

Dabbler
Yes, that is, was i wanted to do with. My plan was, to place the NAS in a seperate room, without Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor. I tought, that it must be possible to put the hot drive in, the system recoginze that and makes a Backup. When its ready a beep-sound makes me knowing, that the Backup is ready, when not, get an email with the error.
Im proofed in Windowssystems and a Newbie in Linux-Distris.
So i am glad, that you can explain, which possibilities are there.

Is it possible to write a script, wich i or another person can execute from a windows-system, to start the backupjob? Is there an opinion to get an message if the Backup is done or not? Perhaps by opening a command prompt when starting the script, showing you how much percent the backup is ready, and telling the user when he can take off the hot drive.

When this would be possible, can someone help me, to write that script?

iJimmyC

Dabbler
You see the thing is, I've seen similar types of things when I was looking through FreeBSD forums and guys getting this sort of thing working with USB drives (should be similar for a hot swap drive...) BUT as FreeNas is a cut down version, it may not include everything required to operate the script you're looking for...

Here's a place to start though as this guy seems to be looking to do the same thing...

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=20620

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

[EDIT]

here's more on creating scripts to auto mount...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8994

Think this is for old FreeNas (0.7)

This may be worth a look at too.. But I haven't read through this, just a quick google & look through.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2073

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Here's a place to start though as this guy seems to be looking to do the same thing...

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=20620

That's kind of promising-looking. The big thing you're going to need to do is to figure out your exact sequence of things that you need to do, like identifying when the disk is available (autodetect via cron and shell script? run something from remote with ssh? etc) and then implement it appropriately. The example of the mentioned script is probably a good starting point, as long as you take some time to make sure you understand what's going on - and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.