How to access FTP service when using IPV6 ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Check with your ISP or vendor of your ISP router. The router should be sending "RA" (router announcement) packets frequently for all systems to pick up.

Another possible cause: you do not happen to run any jails and/or VMs?

profwalken

Patron
Check with your ISP or vendor of your ISP router. The router should be sending "RA" (router announcement) packets frequently for all systems to pick up.
well for this i think, water may run under the bridge, before I get an answer. as it is ISP box.
Do you know if there's a way with wireshark to know if RA are sent enough frequently?

As others complain about, this is only on TNC that GW is no more there, all other devices seems good with ipv6
Another possible cause: you do not happen to run any jails and/or VMs?
Nothing used in jails nor in VMs.

I did first a reboot on NAS side with no change when it came back on line, then I did a reboot on ISP box and this time IPV6 default GW was there and everything was available.

My problem seems to be same as others related and on which you tried to help too. IPV6 GW is not there.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
OK, the question about jails and VMs was an attempt to find out if you have any bridge interfaces for whatever reason. Soifconfig -a | grep bridge does not show anything? Then we can rule out that cause.

Second, is rtsold running? ps awux | grep rtsold. If not can you try service rtsold start and if that complains about the service not being enabled, service rtsold onestart?

Kind regards,
Patrick

profwalken

Patron
here is the result of command lines
1690060333940.png

profwalken

Patron
tonight we got a new power outage due to bad weather conditions and we power loss at 1h15 and it came back at 2h06 .
since all ipv6 device are ok except one TNC, I have another one in same rack and IPV6 is working fine and the default GW is there.
So I'm certain now problem is only on my NAS side but how to know what and how to fix it?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have multiple TrueNAS CORE systems and all of them pick up the IPv6 address and default gateway via SLAAC and RA just fine. I'm running out of ideas with your particular problem.

Anything different about that system? Connected to a different switch? Different kind of network interface?

You could try to run:
Code:
tcpdump -v -i igb0 icmp6 and 'ip6[40] = 134'

as root and check if you receive any RA packets at all. That will take a couple of minutes until you can expect to catch a packet. Possibly run it on the other TN system in parallel - changing "igb0" if necessary.

profwalken

Patron
Do i need to send that command in console ?

The NAS working well with IPV6 is the one Asrock rack (details in signature) , the NICs where independant and I changed settings to make a nic team, last couple of days to LAGG - LACP it works like a charm and with IPV6 too.

The one with problems is the supermicro config. could I try to reinstall from scratch and then restore a backup ? do you think the restoration may cause the problems to be back once restored?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do i need to send that command in console ?
Log in via SSH as root (or become root via sudo), then enter that command. You should use SSH for all command line activities, anyway. The web console in the UI is broken. Also this would enable you to copy and paste plain text instead of posting images of screen shots. Which would be much preferred by all forum regulars. :wink:

profwalken

Patron
thanks for clarification :smile::wink:

profwalken

Patron
can i send you in pm the result of the tcpdump command ?

profwalken

Patron
The result for RA listening is the same on both servers the one working and the second not.
Do i need to open a bug ticket for this ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please don't send/post screenshots but plaintext. In that case you can also easily replace some of the information with **** ...

For example an RA here looks like this:
Code:
16:24:56.262945 IP6 (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) fe80::f690:eaff:fe00:414c > ff02::1: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router advertisement, length 64
    hop limit 64, Flags [none], pref medium, router lifetime 1800s, reachable time 0ms, retrans timer 0ms
      prefix info option (3), length 32 (4): 2003:a:827:2a00::/64, Flags [onlink, auto], valid time 86400s, pref. time 14400s
      mtu option (5), length 8 (1):  1500
      source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): f4:90:ea:00:41:4c

So yes, your RA looks ok to me. And just to reiterate: you have "Autoconfigure IPv6" checked in Network > Interfaces > igb0 and you have no IPv6 Default Gateway in Network > Global Configuration?

Kind regards,
Patrick

profwalken

Patron
So yes, your RA looks ok to me. And just to reiterate: you have "Autoconfigure IPv6" checked in Network > Interfaces > igb0 and you have no IPv6 Default Gateway in Network > Global Configuration?
You are totally right, since now what you asked me to check seems to be normal , but on my NAS it doesn't works so does this means the NAS need to be reinstalled?
Or do I need a bug ticket to be opened?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'd open a bug ticket now.

profwalken

Patron

profwalken

Patron
No luck these days our area got damages on electrical company system and we got many outage until they install a truck with a motorised generator. Murphy's law seems to be not so far from us