How many Unreadable (pending) sectors is too many? ( yes, I used the search and have been looking....)

LtHaus

Dabbler
Good Day!
First post!
yes... its an UPS question..

First a touch of background:
Built this by hand 6ish years ago.
6 Drive ZFS2 pool, used for MAC time machine and general file system storage and protection.

Early on, had a disk choke and die. Under warranty, so flipped it re-sync and on with life (please forgive if re-sync is not the proper wording..
Because of the early fail I purchased disk#7 just in case. Been on the shelf now for over 4 years in the box.

Fast forward I have two disks that have a very low number of Unreadable (Pending) sectors. 7 and 3. I have been keeping an eye on it and they are not increasing.
When I first noticed it, I ran some Smart commands to flush out any other issues and all the drives 'seem' healthy..

So back to the subject, Is having a Low number that is not increasing something that needs attention ASAP?
I have 2 more drives with bigger cache memory that just got here and I'm about to tend to this, but for the sake of learning... What say you?

Second q.. I'm considering getting the Freenas XL 8bay and moving all my disks into that. Freeing the old shell.. After I replace the 'questionable' drives, can I take them reformat / clean / inspect map out those sectors and build a NAS Mirror unit with those drives or are they so suspect its not worth it??

Inquiring minds need to know.

THANK YOU! for reading and not flaming me too much.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.43.31 AM.png

V

danb35

Hall of Famer
So back to the subject, Is having a Low number that is not increasing something that needs attention ASAP?
Having a single disk like this wouldn't bother me much. Having two in the same vdev would bother me a bit more. I doubt I'd replace either of them at this point, but if either of the numbers started increasing I'd be on it in a hurry.

LtHaus

Dabbler
Having a single disk like this wouldn't bother me much. Having two in the same vdev would bother me a bit more. I doubt I'd replace either of them at this point, but if either of the numbers started increasing I'd be on it in a hurry.
Thank YOU.. Thats where I'm at. I have 3 spare WDRed 4TB new in box and I'm contemplating hard getting the FN MiniXL and translating the drives over and removing the ones with sector counts. I jumped into this boat cause a friend pointed me here 6 years ago, but its worked so well, I just have not had to even look at it but for an upgrade here or there.

Many Thanks!