How do you set user permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthammer

Cadet
Greetings,

I've been looking around the wiki and watched the videos AND looked through the first few pages of this forum but I am still a bit baffled here.

I'm very much used to Windows NT-esque permission setting but I can't seem to find anything in FreeNAS that lets be have "that much power" as it were.

What I want to be able to do, per user, is be able to hide certain directories, allow R/W and of course forbid R/W access. I'd like to do it with User Grouping as opposed to per user permission setting.

In so far I do in fact have several custom users and several custom groups made. I also have several CIFS shares up and running and the same shares accessible through FTP.

Though this is likely a very different topic, I'd also like to make these same shares available threw OnCloud, though that seems like its a whole tier different of setups.

Thanks for your time!

Lighthammer

Cadet
Ok, so I've been racking my brain with this.

I followed all the steps in the video and nothing seems to ACTUALLY work. No matter what I do, my Windows User just never seems to be work nor does non-anonymous FTP ever seem to work. I've even gone as far as running a wipe / restore on the whole FreeNAS system to start over.

I am in fact running v9.1 and am considering trying an earlier version of FreeNAS to get things working to my liking. I've also tried using Ubuntu which isn't giving me the results I want (though generally able to do what I want to).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't blindly follow videos and guides. You really have to understand the concepts and what they do. That's why I don't try to help with permissions problems. I've spent 3 solid days with people on Skype and as a volunteer that was unacceptable to me. So I gave up and stopped trying.

Lighthammer

Cadet
I won't say I blindly followed videos (and this one was actually a good one), I did a lot of trouble shooting attempting to figure this issue out as I stated already in the thread.

But honestly, in fairness, if you're going to jump in a thread and just rail about people asking for help, that kind of help isn't needed. That doesn't set a good precedent for the forum, especially when you have an Admin next to your name =(

All I'm looking for is some hints of what I need to look at it. I've already been through the documentation over and over and its not helping =(.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I won't say I blindly followed videos (and this one was actually a good one), I did a lot of trouble shooting attempting to figure this issue out as I stated already in the thread.p

But honestly, in fairness, if you're going to jump in a thread and just rail about people asking for help, that kind of help isn't needed. That doesn't set a good precedent for the forum, especially when you have an Admin next to your name =(

All I'm looking for is some hints of what I need to look at it. I've already been through the documentation over and over and its not helping =(.

I was trying to help you. I tried to point you in the direction of using the video as a guide, but actually understanding the deep level concepts.

Notice nobody else has responded to this thread. That's not an accident.

I thought a response like mine would be helpful since nobody else has bothered to post. Guess I was wrong.

Good luck to you sir!

Lighthammer

Cadet
You were trying to help by saying you weren't going to help?

What kind of sense does that make?

I didn't expect a response to be forth coming because, honestly, looking at this forum, its NOT THAT ACTIVE.

Maybe these sort of responses from Admins is why =(.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You want a "not active" forum go to NAS4Free! They are freakin' dead over there. If you take a look we have quite a few people that later admit they are using NAS4Free but due to lack of support in their forums they come here. I'd say a 10 minute response to your comment is a pretty active forum.

Feel free to go to another product if you are dissatisfied with your service here. I'll even give you a full refund off your purchase price if you'd like.

Lighthammer

Cadet
12 hours off my original post. That does qualify is slow, but for a free product, I don't expect lightening speed, I wasn't even sure I would get a response really.

What I DON'T expect is someone trying to pad their ego by being an internet troll.

PS Thanks for helping to make the thread pretty much useless.

Either way, I have better things to do then to continue to trade barbs with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.