Samba Domain users should use FreeNas shares on Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon

Cadet
Hi everyone

I assume that my requirement has been discussed already a lot of times but probably I used the wrong keywords for my searches.

I have an ubuntu server with smb configured as a domain controller.
A friend recommended to use FreeNas as user storage instead to use native SMB shares for several advantages.
The whole environment runs on VMware vSphere ESXi free edition and is used as homeoffice environment.

I setup FreeNas and was able to configure a CIFS share which I could access from an XP client as guest.

Now my question: How can I restrict a share that it can be used with my few samba 3 domain users?
I don't need Samba 4 with ActiveDirectory but only would like to have 3-4 shares with different r/w permissions for 4-5 smb domain users.

I would be grateful for a nice poke to the right direction.

Optional: Would it be possible and also be rational to mount a FreeNas share as ubuntu directory and share it from there so that I don't have two different servers for my network like \\Ubuntu\home and \\FreeNas\projects? Or would it rather make sense to outsource the common ubuntu shares to FreeNas?

As a basic condition: I will not change the ubuntu configuration (that I finally got working after weeks of work) and replace it against a whatever is possible with FreeNas like use it as PDC or so. I see FreeNas as a 'plugin' to my existing configuration and not as a replacement or so.

Thank you in advance for your support
Raoul

Status
Not open for further replies.