How do I set a limit for ftp speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
What are the commands or where do I go to set the upload/download limit speed for ftp - specifically SFTP? I don't want my wife's Hulu show to buffer every 10 seconds because I'm transferring a large amount of data and it's saturating our WAN. Fwiw I do not have my SFTP port open on my router as I use VPN to make the connection when I use Filezilla.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

diedrichg

Wizard
EXCELLENT! Thank you very much!

diedrichg

Wizard
Question: I've never had the FTP service enabled. I just have SSH enabled. So, if I put
Code:
TransferRate RETR,STOR,APPE,STOU 5000

in the Auxiliary parameters in the FTP settings and the FTP service is not enabled - nothing is going to happen, right?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No. But if the service is not enabled why even bother setting settings? It's like me setting up AFP despite owning no Apple devices in my house. ;)

diedrichg

Wizard
Then how am I using a FTP client to connect through my SSH port if FTP is not enabled? What is the proper way to enable the FTP service and have a secure connection?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do not confuse FTP(or FTPS) with SFTP. FTP and SFTP use the FTP client while SFTP uses the SSH client as a tunnel. And looking at Filezilla a little more closely it looks like I gave you bad advice. My advice is for proftp and since you said ftp I locked onto that instead of seeing SFTP. Filezilla apparently supports SFTP(I didn't know this).

So to behonest, I have no clue how you'd throttle the speed of SFTP connections except to do it on the client if possible.

diedrichg

Wizard
I just looked it up, is proftpd something you are running in a jail? What is the advantage over the built-in ftp service in FreeNAS?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just looked it up, is proftpd something you are running in a jail? What is the advantage over the built-in ftp service in FreeNAS?

uh.. wha? Are you even talking to me?

c32767a

Patron
Then how am I using a FTP client to connect through my SSH port if FTP is not enabled? What is the proper way to enable the FTP service and have a secure connection?

SFTP is a bad name for something that uses the SSH data channel to transfer files. Aside from being a tool for transferring file, it has nearly nothing in common with the underlying way FTP works.
If you want to control bandwidth on an SFTP session, you have to do it from the client side. So in filezilla, or whatever SFTP client you're using, you'll have to tell the client to control it's usage.
Otherwise, you'd have to put some sort of network level QoS in front of the SSH port.

Another way to do this would be to use RSYNC over SSH. rsync does have options to limit bandwidth, which you might be able to use, but you'd have to figure out the rsync command line options that work for yourself. I've never tried to control rsync's bandwidth use for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.