How Do I Mount a Drive that Already Has Data On It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidH373

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Long story short, I kinda screwed things up bad. I have a drive (I think formatted in ZFS) with a ton of data on it. I had a previous install of FreeNAS 7 on a flash drive, and a single 1.5TB Samsung drive. I added a few older WD Black drives, I booted up the system and the flash drive was fragged. So I installed FreeNAS 8. While I knew how to use FreeNAS 7, FreeNAS 8 is very different. I managed to mount the two Black drives, but I was afraid to touch the Samsung drive, knowing the drive had data on it. I've noticed there is an option to mount a drive, but that clears all data on the drive. I obviously can't do that, but I remember a way in 7 to just create a mount point, instead of formatting the whole thing.

This drive contains everything from school video projects, to license keys, to legally downloaded software installers. Some of this was improperly backed up, and long ago I forgot about them, until now I need them.

I'm thankful for any help you guys can provide. I can always get to the drive in linux (I would assume), but believe me when I say, my case was poorly build, and the next time I want to open it up is to junk my old server in favor of a new one with hotswap drive bays. If I have to, though, I have to.

titan_rw

Guru
If it's zfs, then an auto import from the gui should find it.

If it was ufs, you'll have to use the 'import volume', and do it manually. Everything should be covered in the manual.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not a FreeNAS 7 user(never was) but I know that in some circumstances the auto-import function of FreeNAS 8 will not allow you to mount some ZFS drives. For that you have to either mount them yourself or use NAS4Free(the true successor to FreeNAS 7).

DavidH373

Cadet
If it's zfs, then an auto import from the gui should find it.

If it was ufs, you'll have to use the 'import volume', and do it manually. Everything should be covered in the manual.

Auto Import has already been attempted. Import Volume says it will clear the drive.

titan_rw

Guru
I'm not familiar with ufs on freenas at all.

Hopefully someone with some ufs experience can help.

DavidH373

Cadet
Alright guys, I have it added, it says it's still full of data. I think I can handle it from here. I was going to "Volume Manager" instead of "Import Volume". I'm transferring the data I need now. Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.