How do I install a manual update of Plex running in a jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
Are you trying to update a jail created in a previous version of FreeNAS? I'm not sure you can update a jail created in say 9.10 when you've upgraded to 11.0 as they are running different versions of FreeBSD. You'll probably have to recreate the jail and copy across the plexdata, but it's not that difficult and the instructions can be found in another Plex thread.

This jail is brand new, but I have other old jails (Transmission and SickRage) back from 9.3 I believe. So you think I need to remove all the jails and start over?

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
Do you have networking in your jail? Try ping 8.8.8.8 and verify your settings in Network > Global Configuration

Yes, I can ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for example.

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
Well, apparently is all started to work now. Must have been some problem with the FreeBSD repositories earlier or something.

Pentaflake

Explorer
PlexPY:
Other than curiosity and a general desire to know what is going on on your server, Is there a maintenance or troubleshooting reason to install this? the analytics look pretty good, but I am not sure I would ever really use this for anything other than showing someone how the system works.

I use SabNZBD currently, but I have also used Sonarr. Is your choice more of a "flavor" decision or do you have something specific that makes one of these better than the other?

Transmission with OpenVPN:
Can I attach that OpenVPN to any VPN provider (I use IPVanish)?

Plexpy: I have a decent number of friends that I share with it allows me to get statistics but also if someone says there is an issue get a better idea what might be going on, as I have more details then they may be able to provide such as location/player/media/etc.

Additionally if you really wanted it has some neat things you can do with custom notification script that can do things such as automatically killing a stream that has been paused for X time, thought I don't know if that kill functionally is a plexpass feature or not. It can also say notify via a number of providers for things such as buffer warnings, new devices, concurrent streams from the same user, if your plex server goes up/down or remote functionally goes up/down, or if update to plex are available.

Sonarr: Just first application I have used for it and meets my needs and works well so I haven't looked at anything else.

OpenVPN: you can use any openvpn based vpn you like. I just can't promise you can actually use the firewall kill script with it unless you VPN provider can provide a static ip as its gateway/entrance. So if they don't you would need to turn that off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.