How do I install a manual update of Plex running in a jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
I have Plex up and running beautifully in a jail on Freenas 9.10.2U4. I have a PlexPass and recently saw an update become available, but it asks me to install manually. I have downloaded the .tar file and unzipped it onto a share that the Plex jail has access to, but I can't find any instructions on how to install the new version to the Jail. Because the new update contains new capabilities, I would like to move to it, but I have a perfectly functional Plex server already running and I don't want to break it by rushing the install.

Does anyone have a link to some instructions or advice on how to proceed?

chrisada

Explorer
I have Plex up and running beautifully in a jail on Freenas 9.10.2U4. I have a PlexPass and recently saw an update become available, but it asks me to install manually. I have downloaded the .tar file and unzipped it onto a share that the Plex jail has access to, but I can't find any instructions on how to install the new version to the Jail. Because the new update contains new capabilities, I would like to move to it, but I have a perfectly functional Plex server already running and I don't want to break it by rushing the install.

Does anyone have a link to some instructions or advice on how to proceed?
Are you running the plugin version of Plex?

To use the plexpass version, you will need to create a standard jail and install there.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/1...e-freenas-plex-plugin-pbi-to-plexpass-version

If I misread, and you are already running plexpass version in a standard jail, then just run this at the jail command line:

> pkg upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

geopfarth

Explorer
I am running the plugin. It looked like the easiest way to get everything set up. I am not that well versed in Linux. Is there a way to switch from the plugin to a standard plex install running in a jail without destroying the media folder?

scrappy

Patron
Your media shares won't be destroyed as they don't live inside the plugin—they are merely shared from the FreeNAS host to your plugin/jail. You can create a standard jail and share your media directories to it (just as you've done with the plugin), then install plexmediaserver-plexpass from the FreeBSD package manager. That said, if you're not well versed in Linux...err, *BSD (FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, btw) going about this using a standard jail may not be the best idea, but that's for you to decide.

geopfarth

Explorer
Your media shares won't be destroyed as they don't live inside the plugin—they are merely shared from the FreeNAS host to your plugin/jail. You can create a standard jail and share your media directories to it (just as you've done with the plugin), then install plexmediaserver-plexpass from the FreeBSD package manager. That said, if you're not well versed in Linux...err, *BSD (FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, btw) going about this using a standard jail may not be the best idea, but that's for you to decide.
Is there a way to capture my config file from the plugin version and add it to the new package?

scrappy

Patron
Is there a way to capture my config file from the plugin version and add it to the new package?

Perhaps create a new dataset in FreeNAS named backup, mount it to your jail plugin and then access your plugin's terminal. From there you need to find the 'Plex Media Library' directory which is probably under /usr/local/plex*. You'll need to copy the Plex Media Library to your recently created backup dataset now mounted inside that plugin. After the library has been copied, you can then mount the backup dataset inside the newly created jail and essentially do the above process in reverse. Make sure ownership belongs to plex:plex

You'll want to install plexmediaserver-plexpass package in the new jail beforehand so that the Plex directories and user/group plex exists in the system.

There are probably easier, better ways to migrate your old Plex library, but this what I came up with in a pinch.

Last edited:

digity

Contributor
@scrappy is dead on. Though, if your library is massive you should skip copying/migrating the cache folder (located somewhere within your Plex Media Server folder) as it's usually big and adds to the transfer time. Also make sure the new installation uses the same exact paths to your media as the old installation. Otherwise Plex will re-add all your media as if they're new and your recently added, and the other history based sortings, will be lost.

There's a pretty good article from Plex on this actually: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

Last edited:

geopfarth

Explorer

So I built a standard jail figuring I could basically build a new Plex server and attach all the old media to it. After I built the jail I pulled down the PlexPass package from FreshPorts using the shell:

pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

That seemed to work fine, so I used the following command to install the package:

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean

This also seems to have worked, but now I am stuck as I can't seem to get the package to start automatically on reboot. I get a "Connection refused" error when I go to the web page.

The tutorial on building a standard jail and installing Plex that you pointed me to seems to be a bit out of date, the commands listed are wrong, or I missed something (likely that last one). But when I entered the commands to automate restart on reboot I got:
root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES
plexmediaserver_enable: YES -> YES

and then I tried to start the service and got:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # service plexmediaserver start
/etc/rc.conf: plexmediaserver-plexpass_enable=YES: not found
/etc/rc.conf: plexmediaserver-plexxpass_enable=YES: not found
plexmediaserver does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)
root@plexmediaserver_2:/ #

I tried it a different way:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # sysrc plexmediaserver-plexxpass_enable=YES
plexmediaserver-plexxpass_enable: plexxpass_enable -> plexxpass_enable

and then tried to restart the service with:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
Cannot 'start' plexmediaserver_plexpass. Set plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable to
YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.

Anyone able to assist me in what I did wrong?

I tried it a different way:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # sysrc plexmediaserver-plexxpass_enable=YES
plexmediaserver-plexxpass_enable: plexxpass_enable -> plexxpass_enable

Note that in the above you have plexxpass with two xx.

and then tried to restart the service with:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

Note that in the above you have plexpass with only one x.

adrianwi

Guru
Not sure why you installed it using packages and then again using ports - one would have sufficed!

I think you're missing "" around the YES in the rc.conf line.

geopfarth

Explorer

so I killed the jail and started over. I installed from the package and not the port (thanks Adrian). Again everything looks fine till I try to start the service:

root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # sysrc plexmediaserver-plexpass_enable=YES
plexmediaserver-plexpass_enable: plexpass_enable -> plexpass_enable
root@plexmediaserver_2:/ # service plexmediaserver-plexpass start
plexmediaserver-plexpass does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)

Am I not understanding the command correctly? the sysrc command should be referencing the package correct? the tutorial here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-9-10-jail.19412/

references a package called "plexmediaserver" but I installed the one called "plexmediaserver-plexpass" so I thought I should modify the command to point to the new package name.

I tried this myself. After running pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass (with a dash) it shows the following (note the underscore as opposed to a dash):

Code:
TO START PLEXMEDIASERVER ON BOOT:											 
sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES									 

START MANUALLY:																
service plexmediaserver_plexpass start 

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Delete and start over. Just install using pkg don't do the other thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

geopfarth

Explorer
I tried this myself. After running pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass (with a dash) it shows the following (note the underscore as opposed to a dash):

Code:
TO START PLEXMEDIASERVER ON BOOT:											
sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES									

START MANUALLY:																
service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
And that was the issue. Thank you very much. I am up and running.

Pentaflake

Explorer
An alternative option for easy plexpass is to create a fresh jail, install the basic plexmediaserver from pkg-ng, lock the package in pkg-ng then use https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater script which will take care of grabbing the latest version direct from plex by running the script anytime you see an update listed in plex web ui and won't be overwritten during normal package updates. No need to wait for the port/pkg to be updated to get the latest and plexpass updates.

I have more detailed steps in https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-radarr-jackett-and-transmission-with-vpn.58/

geopfarth

Explorer
An alternative option for easy plexpass is to create a fresh jail, install the basic plexmediaserver from pkg-ng, lock the package in pkg-ng then use https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater script which will take care of grabbing the latest version direct from plex by running the script anytime you see an update listed in plex web ui and won't be overwritten during normal package updates. No need to wait for the port/pkg to be updated to get the latest and plexpass updates.

I have more detailed steps in https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-radarr-jackett-and-transmission-with-vpn.58/

So, while I was able to get the Plex server up and running I thought I would try again using your tutorial. One of the benefits of running this server is that it allows me to experiment and learn!

I'm still working my way through all of the other applications you have installed and figuring them out. I have a question about a couple of the applications:
PlexPY:
Other than curiosity and a general desire to know what is going on on your server, Is there a maintenance or troubleshooting reason to install this? the analytics look pretty good, but I am not sure I would ever really use this for anything other than showing someone how the system works.

I use SabNZBD currently, but I have also used Sonarr. Is your choice more of a "flavor" decision or do you have something specific that makes one of these better than the other?

Transmission with OpenVPN:
Can I attach that OpenVPN to any VPN provider (I use IPVanish)?

Sorry to pester. I am looking at moving to FreeNAS 11 and I see lots of people have had issues running the plugin versions of Plex and other applications so I am working on moving everything to the standard jails prior to switching.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sorry to pester. I am looking at moving to FreeNAS 11 and I see lots of people have had issues running the plugin versions of Plex and other applications so I am working on moving everything to the standard jails prior to switching.

once you are on freenas 11 you will have to rebuild all your jails again. Best to just wait or practice knowing you will have to do it again. Specifically I would wait until the iocage feature is working properly.

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
I get this error when trying to "pkg update", "pkg install" etc. Anyone know why?

root@PMS:/ # pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!

adrianwi

Guru
Are you trying to update a jail created in a previous version of FreeNAS? I'm not sure you can update a jail created in say 9.10 when you've upgraded to 11.0 as they are running different versions of FreeBSD. You'll probably have to recreate the jail and copy across the plexdata, but it's not that difficult and the instructions can be found in another Plex thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.