how do I get to a dos prompt instead of an EFI shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
I am following the instructions for my x10sl7-f supermicro board to update the bios and it wants me to run AMI.BAT BIOSname.### once I am at a DOS prompt......but I never get to a DOS prompt....I get the EFI shell every time and in the list of commands it doesn't appear to have one that will allow me to flash this BIOS update from the usb flash drive that is plugged into it.

Any help would be much appreciated....I am sure that this will be the stupid question of the day and it will be as simple as holding down a combination of keys through the boot screens.

FYI I have nothing on this server yet...I am just getting this thing up and running and figured that it would be best to start off with the latest and greatest BIOS and whatnot. I will be flashing the LSI card into IT mode after I get the BIOS updated.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moved to off-topic as this isn't FreeNAS support. :P

9C1 Newbee

Patron
836569-angry-dog-with-its-teeth-bared.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am following the instructions for my x10sl7-f supermicro board to update the bios and it wants me to run AMI.BAT BIOSname.### once I am at a DOS prompt......but I never get to a DOS prompt....I get the EFI shell every time and in the list of commands it doesn't appear to have one that will allow me to flash this BIOS update from the usb flash drive that is plugged into it.

Any help would be much appreciated....I am sure that this will be the stupid question of the day and it will be as simple as holding down a combination of keys through the boot screens.

FYI I have nothing on this server yet...I am just getting this thing up and running and figured that it would be best to start off with the latest and greatest BIOS and whatnot. I will be flashing the LSI card into IT mode after I get the BIOS updated.

Thanks!

You need to boot into DOS. You'll need to acquire a DOS boot disk. FreeDOS and newer MS-DOS should work.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Thanks guys. I finally got it to work. I followed some instructions to create a DOS boot disk last night.....but it appears that the instructions were wrong. I followed alternate instructions and it gave me the prompt I was looking for. BIOS is updated and I am ready to move on to the burn in phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.