How do I disable AIO on my freenas server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ablasdel

Cadet
I believe I am running into either this:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=168298
or this:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12648

The work around seems to be disable AIO.
Unfortunately my ultimate newb status leaves me searching for an answer to the question in the title and I have come up dry in my search. I looked through the whole storage chapter in the manual. Maybe I missed it?

Any hints, links or manual pages that would help me figure out how to disable this would be amazing.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Someone in the forum has provided the answer at least twice already. I don't know where it is, but you should be able to search for it.

ablasdel

Cadet
Thanks I'll search again. I guess I was using the wrong terms.
Since this post now comes up as the first hit on google for "freenas disable AIO" I will post the link here if I find it.

D

dlavigne

I don't think it's that. If you type kldstat aio from shell it doesn't show that the aio kernel module is loaded.

What exact error are you experiencing? Which version of FreeNAS?

ablasdel

Cadet
My search came up short again. I haven't found how to disable aio anywhere on these forums. If anybody finds the other posts please put them here so the next guy has an easier time.

I'm not sure about this command but I ran this:
[root@freenas ~]# kldstat -m aio
Id Refs Name
330 1 aio

As for the specific error I was getting symptoms exactly like this virtual box bug. I found another page that says turning on host io caching stopped the crashes. Since I didn't know how to disable AIO I tried the suggestions in the second link and it has yet to crash again. (It has only been 1 day though so I can't be sure I have solved it yet but I can hope)

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? I'm not seeing aio in the kldstat output of a 9.3 system.

What happens if you type kldunload aio?

ablasdel

Cadet
It looks like we are running 9.2.1.7 was aio removed by 9.3?

Another option is the guy who set it up might have added aio after the initial install for some reason.

At this point after I changed the host io caching on the virtual box guests in their jail. I have stopped seeing the guests crash so I want to make sure the problem persists before I change more things. If I unload aio now I won't know which one fixed the problem.

Thank you for the info! I will use this info if/when i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.