Hotswap issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yar

Cadet
I'm currently trying to setup FreeNAS.. However I'm having issues hotswapping the drives?

I have it set as a RAIDZ2 Volume.

To test hotswap I basically pulled out ada0 whilst the system was on, checked the RAID Status and saw it was "Degraded". So I then placed a new 3TB into ada0.

Using camcontrol identify ada0 I can see that the system has detected the new disk as it shows the correct serial number. However I cannot use the disk to "Replace" into FreeNAS, and it doesn't appear in "View Disks".

UF0jwib.png

VAKMxYt.png

Using "dmesg | grep ada0" I get the following:

YAHOEFS.png

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Hotswap is a necessity for this system..

Yar

Cadet
Just tried to re-insert the disk and saw "Unable to attach new device 0x6" on the monitor.

Yatti420

Wizard

Starpulkka

Contributor
There is no offline button because drive is unavaiable you just pulled it from a computer.

You probably not seeing any hdd after pressing replace because you have no fresh hdd to offer replacement (do you try offer same hdd what did you just pull out)

if you test hdd replacement you have dban or wipe hdd after pulling or put it another freenas and zpool labelclear /dev/hdd what you are clearing and after that wipe it should accept "new hdd" as replacement.

Looks like in freenas 9 you can see more details on storage click your volume name and then down right volume status, it should now show all hdds whats in that pool.

If you just pull hdd out and after few mins put it back it should settle its place like a snap (if hardware works correctly). If its not doing that then you might have a tiny hardware problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. you are confused because you didn't follow the FreeNAS manual steps for disk replacement. ;)

Some hardware also doesn't support hotswap and/or hotplugging drives with FreeBSD. For that reason I always recommend you shutdown the server when actually removing/replacing disks.

Yar

Cadet
As I had just pulled the disk out to simulate a drive failure - there was no option to "offline" the old disk. Only "replace"

The hardware I'm using 100% supports hotswap/hotplugging drives.. As the new drive was detected by camcontrol showing the correct serial number.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The hardware I'm using 100% supports hotswap/hotplugging drives.. As the new drive was detected by camcontrol showing the correct serial number.

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced of that yet. As I said above, if the hardware drivers don't support hotswap and/or hotplugging in FreeBSD, then the function will be broken. Broken for some people means the system crashes, for some it will never detect the new disk without a reboot, for others it will be a situation where it's partially detected and the drive seems to work in some regards, but not all. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter and we're discussing something I don't really care about. Its your system and your problem, and I'm not convinced it is the problem. I was simply trying to say that it *is* a common problem and a common misunderstanding by many many FreeNAS owners.

That being said, you can simply rule it out as a possible cause for problems by simply rebooting your server. So why not reboot and prove that this is not the problem so we can look elsewhere. One thing that sucks is troubleshooting an issue to death only to find a simple reboot could have fixed it. I've been around here long enough to know that hotswap and hotplugging may often be supported in Windows, but not necessarily so in FreeBSD. I basically question almost all on-board chipsets out of the gate because so frequently they don't do hotplugging and/or hotswap properly. I know for a fact that the M1015 does, but you don't have that SAS controller.

Is that drive slightly smaller than the other drives? Firmware changes and whatnot can make a drive be a few MB smaller between versions. That could make the drive unsuitable as a replacement for your situation. I've personally seen this situation twice. ;) If you do dmesg | grep adXX you can compare the total MB, which should show the difference.

Is swap active on said device?
Looking for a problem of my own I found this, that could be related with your's
skimming through the posts it appears to be patched on FreeBSD
Got around to this today -- I can confirm as of r247132 on stable/9 the
above problem is gone.
I don't know if FreeNAS is based on that (patched) version though.

Status
Not open for further replies.