hotswap AHCI drive. need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to hot swap a AHCI drive from my desktop motherboard intel dz68db. which is doing fine.
my last drive was 1.5 TB on port ada0 and i connected the new drive (2TB) at same port which is also ada0. which does not detect and i do not see any console message however when i run command " camcontrol indentify ada0 "
it shows that my drive is changed. here is my new drive on same port

[root@pk] /dev/gptid# camcontrol identify ada0
pass0: <WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 51.0AB51> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
pass0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
protocol ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 3.x
device model WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0
firmware revision 51.0AB51

above output means to some extent drive is working but i do not know how to initialize. i can not see this drive in GUI console my GUI console, it shows the old (ada0) as 1.5 TB and serial portion is empty .
so please can you guys guide me how do i make my freenas system to detect the new drive without boot in GUI.

Thanks,
MYK

D

dlavigne

Did this get sorted? If not, did you follow the instructions for replacing a drive in the Guide for your version of FreeNAS? What is the version of FreeNAS? What type of RAIDZ?

Hi dlavigne,
Sorry for the delay actually i was on rest. no i didnt follow the guide i tried it my self and yes i did the task to some extent.
i add the 3rd drive while system was running. console detected that without restart. then i add that in to the Pool by GUI as spare volume. then i replaced the drive via commandline. next i remove the drive from the pools by zfs remove and finally i unplug it so this worked.

however my question above was a bit different. and i didnt tired it again. what i did in (related to my question) i removed the drive while system was running and added the new drive and new drive was not detected so i haven't tested that actually. i am very new just doing my testing here. could you please share your thought what i did by unplug and replug the new one on same port. was this wrong technically?

Thanks,
MYK

Status
Not open for further replies.