SOLVED Host Name Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagtimeBetty

Cadet
Good day. I have a Freenas that was set up by my ex. I was able to use it no problems at my pld place, but now I have moved and I am getting a hostname not found error - I am not sure it was shutdown properly before the move. My network sees it but not under the freenas name. I have no idea how to fix it as I did not set it up.
Should I just reformat it and either start over or just use the drives as storage?

https://imgur.com/a/YjhONyW

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I was able to use it no problems at my pld place, but now I have moved and I am getting a hostname not found error - I am not sure it was shutdown properly before the move. My network sees it but not under the freenas name. I have no idea how to fix it as I did not set it up.

freebsd.pool.ntp.org ist the name of the FreeBSD network time protocol pool, used to synchronize the time of your FreeNAS machine with trusted time sources. Did you try to connect the NAS to the internet after the move? There might be other things to configure now with using another router / DHCP server / whatever in your new local network.

It seems entirely up to you if you want to learn how to use FreeNAS and / or need to have access to your existing data or not.

RagtimeBetty

Cadet
Did you try to connect the NAS to the internet after the move? There might be other things to configure now with using another router / DHCP server / whatever in your new local network.

The NAS is hardwired to the modem, should be online everything else connected is, I cannot see it on my network however.

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
The NAS is hardwired to the modem, should be online everything else connected is, I cannot see it on my network however.

Are you able to access the Console Setup Menu as shown here (maybe after hitting <Return> or <Esc> on a keyboard connected to the NAS)
http://doc.freenas.org/11/quick.html
and to work from there?

Hopefully somebody else is willing to answer further questions quickly, it's after midnight over here right now ...

RagtimeBetty

Cadet
Are you able to access the Console Setup Menu as shown here (maybe after hitting <Return> or <Esc> on a keyboard connected to the NAS)
http://doc.freenas.org/11/quick.html
and to work from there?

Hopefully somebody else is willing to answer further questions quickly, it's after midnight over here right now ...
I can get to that menu, I can log into the NAS via IP and see all the neat settings. Now just gotta get it on the nextwork - thanks for your help

Inxsible

Guru
If you switch the port of the NAS with another device that works, does the NAS come online?

Have you checked the router to see if an IP is being assigned to the NAS?

Inxsible

Guru
I can get to that menu, I can log into the NAS via IP and see all the neat settings. Now just gotta get it on the nextwork - thanks for your help
Does this menu provide you with an IP address? If so, then try to access it in a browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.