Homeserver for Filestorage and Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
ok...new developments. I found a SC847 (SC847E16-R1400LPB) for a good Price on Ebay.
So I will have 2 SAS2 Backplanes to connect to: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 / BPN-SAS2-826EL1.
As those are SAS2 and all X10 boards I saw use SAS3 Controllers I assume I should be
using an external SAS2 HBA still?
This case is going to be very loud. You will not want to be in the same room as it. I own it and it lives in the basement. At idle the fans can be heard from upstairs with 2 doors blocking sound. When the fans ramp up you can hear it everywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This case is going to be very loud. You will not want to be in the same room as it. I own it and it lives in the basement. At idle the fans can be heard from upstairs with 2 doors blocking sound. When the fans ramp up you can hear it everywhere.

I am not familiar with that case and the airflow design. Would it be possible to put lower speed fans in? I swapped the fans in my Supermicro 3U chassis for Noctua industrial fans and it is much quieter and the drives still stay cool enough for me (29 to 34C).

ude6

Dabbler
From what I have read the tick with the Noctuas works only for full hight cases wehre you can fit 120mm or even 140mm fans. This is confined to 80mm. I will try the PWM settings and then take it from there. @SweetAndLow : What do you think is the loudest part. The Casefans or the PSUs? Which PSU do you use the 1400W or a SQ one? Did you switch the Casefans?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
From what I have read the tick with the Noctuas works only for full hight cases wehre you can fit 120mm or even 140mm fans. This is confined to 80mm. I will try the PWM settings and then take it from there. @SweetAndLow : What do you think is the loudest part. The Casefans or the PSUs? Which PSU do you use the 1400W or a SQ one? Did you switch the Casefans?
I have 2 normal 1200w power supplies in there. Switching to the sq version would make a big difference. The power supplies make this high pitched sound.

I also have the stock fans plugged into the motherboard with the optimal fan curve setting. I don't think changing the fans is a good idea because you will be sacrificing cooling for noise.

Also note: I love the case and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Just have to do some more sound proofing.

ude6

Dabbler
That is what I thought. I will try the SQs first and take it from there. Else I might have to go with someting like this: http://imgur.com/a/uh82C
But the server is in the basement ... lets see....I will update with my findings.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is what I thought. I will try the SQs first and take it from there. Else I might have to go with someting like this: http://imgur.com/a/uh82C
But the server is in the basement ... lets see....I will update with my findings.
My 3U server uses 92mm fans and I was able to change them out without any difficulty at all. The original fans connected to the SAS backplane that the drives connect to and I connected the replacement fans exactly the same way. It cut the sound in half and the drives stay plenty cool. No custom fan curve required. I have two PWM fans connected to the system board, one for the CPU and one that is attached to a custom mount to blow across the heat-syncs on my SAS controller cards.
There have been no heat problems with that system but I have had what I think was an overheat issue with the SAS controllers in the other system which has no secondary fan for the SAS controllers. Airflow is important, but the main reason for the high speed fans that were initially installed is to keep other system components cool, not to keep the hard drives cool. Your drives only have to be in the vicinity of 35C to stay healthy for a long long time. The batch that I just replaced were between 4.5 and 5 years old with no errors. I still have 5 drives that are between 5 and 5.5 years old and they have no errors also...

Stux

MVP
I have two PWM fans connected to the system board, one for the CPU and one that is attached to a custom mount to blow across the heat-syncs on my SAS controller cards.

How did you solve the custom mount problem?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How did you solve the custom mount problem?
It sounds so horrible, I am reluctant to say.
I fabricated a fan frame out of wood strips glued together with epoxy and stuck it to the side of the case with double sided foam tape. It holds the fan where it needs to be to blow on the SAS controllers that do get quite warm during sustained activity.
I put that in the second of my two rackmount Supermicro systems because of lessons learned from the first system. I just have not taken the first system offline long enough to retrofit it with the same solution. I do think it needs doing.
As it stands, the loudest thing in the server is the little 40mm fans in the power supplies and I don't want to even try to replace those.
the two of them together are quiet enough that I keep them in my home office, but I am pretty tolerant of fan noise. I know I have some hearing loss after all the years working in the datacenter at work. I often need to spend hours at a time working in there for my day job. I have remote management for lots of things to do the work from my cubicle, but I have to install a couple of new 6KW UPS systems in the racks as soon as facilities gets the new 208v circuits installed.

ude6

Dabbler
One more point: The Ram I mentioned on the first page is not on the list for the Supermicro X10SRH-CF ...
Is there any good recomendation on a 32gb / DDR4-2400 ram?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I use Samsung, check my signature for exact model number.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@SweetAndLow : Those look like 16GB modules?
Yes maybe, if you want bigger ones get the Samsung 32GB. I was happy to max things out at 128GB totally and 32GB sticks didn't really exist at the time.

ude6

Dabbler
ok. I would be able to source These: Samsung DIMM 32GB, DDR4-2133, CL15-15-15, reg ECC (M393A4K40BB0-CPB).
Is there anyone with experience in These?

Status
Not open for further replies.