BUILD Home SuperMicro X10 build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I am currently considering a Freenas build to replace an aging Synology Cubestation CS407. Some feedback on performance and my build would be much appreciated.

My build goals are as follows in order of importance:

1. Keep my data safe - at all times or warn me so I can take action.
2. Have at least 8 TB of storage
3. Have a very low idle power consumption (power is very expensive where I live).
4. Be able to serve 1-3 iDevices via Plex mediaserver
5. Serve as a Time Machine target for all my macs. (4 active)

Expected user count is between 1 and 4 at the time. Ideally I wold like to be able to stream any movie via plex to a mac mini (no transcoding) and run 1 or 2 transcoded streams at the same time. I don't expect to write to the nas while streaming

So in my mind the build looks somewhat like this:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3, 3.10 GHz, 8 MB, 80 W
MB: SuperMicro X10SLM-F
Memory: 16 GB ECC (Probably Crucial or Kingston modules as they are available where I live)
Disks: 5 *WD Red NAS Hard Drives, 3 TB, 64 MB, SATA 6Gb/s (maybe 6)
PSU: Probably a Seasonic Gold rated, I would like feedback on wattage required
Case: Undecided, some quality tower with good airflow. It lives in the attic so a nice mid-tower is an option. Feedback is welcomed.

For extra safety I have a perfectly functioning APC CS-350 UPS that I intend to use with the machine.

I intend to run all 5/6 disks in a Raidz2 array and split the pool into two parts. One for storage and one for Timemachine backups.

So my questions are:

1. Does anybody have a system looking a bit like this and can comment on idle-power draw.

2. Is the cpu overkill for what I am doing here? I know transcoding takes cpu horsepower but I don't want to buy more than I have to. If an i3 could do the job I would prefer that to save some money.

Since this is a private NAS I am also not too concerned about file copy speeds. Anything above a CS407 is perfectly acceptable.

3. Has anybody tried "wake-on-lan" with this board. I would like to power it down for 5-6 hours at night and wake it later. Is there something besides wake-on-lan I could use to do this?

4. Being a private NAS it has long periods of inactivity. To conserve power the cubestation spins the drives down, can I achieve the same effect with Freenas.

I have read the forum, the manual and even read the research paper on zfs vs memory corruption, and I have tried to respect the lessons in my build. But if I missed anything please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.