BUILD First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclarkin9681

Dabbler
Hello all,
I am looking to build my first FreeNas server. And wanted to get some feedback on the hardware config.
I basically went through the forum and used similar specs as other members. I haven't ordered any parts yet, but this what i was thinking:

MB/CPU = AsRock C2750D41 - This seems to be a pretty popular choice among the members.
RAM = 16GB (2x8) ECC Ram from Crcial CT2KIT102472BD160B
USB = Kingston DataTravler 100G3/16GB
Drives = 4 x TB WD RED NAS Drives (these i already have)
Power = SilverStone ST45F 450W 80-PLus Bronze Active PFC Power Supply
Case = SIlerStone DS380B NAS Chassis. 8 bay hot swap

I really like the case, small form, 8 hot swaps. I have a question regarding the case...it only has USB 3...the board only uses USB 2.0 (and i believe i read so does FreeNas?). I know USB 3 is backward compatible but have people had any issues with this? If so, can you recommend a different case? I like the idea of 8 hot swaps?

Thanks in advance. If something is off or i should avoid please yell at me, like extra cooling of something to that nature.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So .. don't use the USB3, problem solved...?

For 8 drives also be aware of the U-NAS NSC800 or whatever it is.

mclarkin9681

Dabbler
So .. don't use the USB3, problem solved...?

For 8 drives also be aware of the U-NAS NSC800 or whatever it is.
Yeah, i realized the USB question was a stupid one. Do you use any kind of battery backup with your NAS box?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, i realized the USB question was a stupid one. Do you use any kind of battery backup with your NAS box?

A UPS is very, very strongly recommended.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Not separately, no. All the infrastructure here has a minimum of redundant power protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.