Home folder duplicate created inside home folder filling up my NAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakobUnn

Cadet
As a filmmaker, I've been using a freenas system for video files for a while now. On my FreeNAS there are 2 users. Me and another person. I needed access to his home folder so I figured I could just change my home directory up one level from /mnt/Media/jakob to /mnt/Media

Big mistake. As it did not solve my problem I just changed it back. The problem now is that for some reason the freenas started to create a duplicate of my home folder "jakob" inside /mnt/Media/jakob as well as an empty "jails" folder in the top directory. This then filled up the rest of the space as my home folder is several TB large. I got several critical warnings that the storage was filled and it finally stopped at 96%. Can anyone tell me how to delete the duplicate folder inside my home folder? and stop it from creating more?

There are no users with the home folder path (/mnt/Media/jakob/jakob). The file cannot be deleted from my computer as it is "in use".

System spec:
3x 3TB disks running RAID 5
Intel i7 third generation quad core
3x 2GB ram modules

If you want any more information just ask. I'm not very experienced with FreeNAS so I didn't really now what information is relevant. This NAS is very important for my work and any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
my first thought is to restore your configuration file from before you made the change. I hope this will restore your system to normal. Once that is done and the data stops being duplicated, then try to delete the data. You may need to log in as root to do this.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What version of FreeNAS?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JakobUnn

Cadet
my first thought is to restore your configuration file from before you made the change. I hope this will restore your system to normal. Once that is done and the data stops being duplicated, then try to delete the data. You may need to log in as root to do this.

I guess this will not affect my files on the server right? There seem to be a lot of people using this method once their OS drive malfunctions but is there an easier way for me since mine actually still boots properly?

JakobUnn

Cadet
Update! Here is a screenshot of the NAS which might help? I see these connection missmatches, is that normal?
dFhLw

JakobUnn

Cadet
I have not used the backup function on the local NAS interface (by pressing 11). I guess that is vital for that sollution? The home folder duplicate (1.4TB) does not seem to grow even if I free up space, maybe I could just delete it as root on the system?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Update! Here is a screenshot of the NAS which might help? I see these connection missmatches, is that normal?
dFhLw
You might want to try that again.
I guess this will not affect my files on the server right?
Yes, restoring your configuration file will not harm your data, however as a precaution you should make a new backup of your configuration file for what it is right now and then restore an older configuration file from before you started to mess with the system. Either way your data will not be deleted just by restoring a configuration file.

I have not used the backup function on the local NAS interface (by pressing 11). I guess that is vital for that sollution? The home folder duplicate (1.4TB) does not seem to grow even if I free up space, maybe I could just delete it as root on the system?
Let me see if I understand you correctly, you have never created a backup of your configuration file? We typically do this through the GUI. Look here at the User Guide -> Save Config and Upload Config. But if you never created the backup then I believe the easy way out does not exist.

Other things you can try is to perform a clean install but I'm sure there is a better solution.

JakobUnn

Cadet
You might want to try that again.
The image won't load for some reason but it works if you right click it and press open image in new tab.
Let me see if I understand you correctly, you have never created a backup of your configuration file? We typically do this through the GUI. Look here at the User Guide -> Save Config and Upload Config. But if you never created the backup then I believe the easy way out does not exist.
Yeah, should have looked that up from the gecko... Anyways it could be worse at least my data is still intact. For now...
It's, unfortunately, way too much data for me to move to another system while resetting everything so that will be difficult. Right now I'm looking at buying a 12TB thunderbolt raid enclosure which would then allow me to reset my NAS and use it for heavier tasks while keeping the NAS for lighter work. In the mean time though I'm considering deleting the duplicate folder from the NAS computer directly (if possible) as it doesn't seem to copy to it anymore. Is that a bad idea?

Thank you so much for your help! It means soo much! This NAS is very important to me and I have very limited knowledge when it comes to FreeNAS.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
As a filmmaker, I've been using a freenas system for video files for a while now. On my freenas there are 2 users. Me and another person. I needed access to his home folder so I figured I could just change my home directory up one level from /mnt/Media/jakob to /mnt/Media

Big mistake. As it did not solve my problem I just changed it back. The problem now is that for some reason the freenas started to create a duplicate of my home folder "jakob" inside /mnt/Media/jakob as well as an empty "jails" folder in the top directory. This then filled up the rest of the space as my home folder is several TB large. I got several critical warnings that the storage was filled and it finally stopped at 96%. Can anyone tell me how to delete the duplicate folder inside my home folder? and stop it from creating more?

There are no users with the home folder path (/mnt/Media/jakob/jakob). The file cannot be deleted from my computer as it is "in use".

System spec:
3x 3TB disks running RAID 5
Intel i7 third generation quad core
3x 2GB ram modules

If you want any more information just ask. I'm not very experienced with freenas so I didn't really now what information is relevant. This NAS is very important for my work and any help would be much appreciated.
So I just tried to reproduce your problem and i can not get any duplicate data when i change a users home directory. I have no clue what you have done at this point. All I can say is make sure your data is really duplicate before you delete it. If it is then just delete it.

JakobUnn

Cadet
So I just tried to reproduce your problem and i can not get any duplicate data when i change a users home directory. I have no clue what you have done at this point. All I can say is make sure your data is really duplicate before you delete it. If it is then just delete it.
Thank you for your help. I simply changed the path in the UI marked with the red box in the image bellow from
5zwy9wV.png

/mnt/Media/jakob to /mnt/Media
and then back. I don't recall changing anything else but maybe something else caused it. Anyway, thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.